X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bikini top help

just bought a bestop strap-type top for my 86 cj. has a supertop now, so the windshield header is in place. there are two snaps on the front edge of the new top that (instructions) say will snap on the olds studs. but windshield frame as been replaced and has no studs. new screw-in studs
    are in the package, but no matter how hard i stretch the top (sideways) if i drill in the new studs so they line up with the ones on the top, thry will go throught the header and the top fabric! geeezz! how hard can this be?? i'm a nuclear tech ferchripesake!! what am i doing wrong? any pictures? advice?

Originally posted by bill tomlinson

just bought a bestop strap-type top for my 86 cj. has a supertop now, so the windshield header is in place. there are two snaps on the front edge of the new top that (instructions) say will snap on the olds studs. but windshield frame as been replaced and has no studs. new screw-in studs
    are in the package, but no matter how hard i stretch the top (sideways) if i drill in the new studs so they line up with the ones on the top, thry will go throught the header and the top fabric! geeezz! how hard can this be?? i'm a nuclear tech ferchripesake!! what am i doing wrong? any pictures? advice?
    Is it the strapless version that only covers the drivers compartment?

Either way I don't remember any of the new Bestop bikini's utilizing the snaps on the windshield frame...All the ones I have seen lately will just use the windshield channel.

I put on the strapless style last summer and it just slotted into the windshield channel then strapped around the sport bar...the only reall strap was a tensioning strap that went around the sport bar in the middle and then slotted to the footman loop on the windshield frame to help tension the top...Never had a problem with it all summer and only had to retension the top once.

Matt

Comment

I know what you are talking about with the snaps and I myself was going to raise this same question. I tried mine without using the snaps and it worked fine. If you have the straps tight enough it shouldn't go anywhere, but maybe somebody else will elaborate a little on it.

Comment

thanks guys. when it stops raining here and warms up, i'll try again. i've got a 60" hi-lift that should stretch that @#$@#$@#$ into submission!! (lol)

Comment

Just did the same thing, I even called Bestop to ask about the snaps. Ignore the snaps and try to warm the top in the sun. I don't know why they don't make it the same as the supertop! I had to pry the channel open a little with a screwdriver where it curves. The top needs to be re designed to fit the channel, hell with those snaps. DP

Comment

My top never had snaps. However I did install them because the wind would work the top out of the channel in the corners it started to become a PITA when I have the top on. I installed the snaps in the top just behind the channel in the 2 front corners.

Comment

I just received my bikini top with straps from Bestop yesterday. Mine also has the snaps. I had bikini tops for both of my previous CJs (many moons ago), and this is the first bikini top I have seen with snaps. I haven't tried to install mine because my jeep is still in the paint shop. I also installed a new windshield frame before I took it to the body shop. I'm interested in more feedback about the top with the snaps and whether or not to use the snaps or just ignore them.

Comment

Okay, here's the deal. The Bestop bikini top for CJ comes with snaps cuz the original CJ top had snaps on each end. Those of you who wisely upgraded to the Bestop Supertop have replaced the front channel with the Bestop Supertop one that curves down the sides a bit.

Simply take a drill & bit and drill out the snaps of the CJ bikini top. It take a little extra effort to sweeze those corners in, but it WILL work. I've had mine on for several years now.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks RMY. I've got the upgrade to the Supertop wand the curved windshielsd channel. I'll follow your advice.

Comment

thanks to all

Comment

Working...
                    X