Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quadratrac dana 44 30 t case 258??????????

What is a quadratrac and is it better or worse or whats the deal??

If my 86 CJ7 is stock, what do i have??

I know i have a dana 44 in the rear, front im guessing dana 30, t case i have no idea, and i have a 5 speed tranny.

How do i tell what each is??

t case is just like chevy, up top is 4 lo then N then 2 hi then 4 hi. thats all i know.

if it's a stock 86 you've probably got a dana 300. excellent tcase. The Dana 300 was used only in CJs from 1980 until 1986. The first year the Dana 300 was available there was a slight difference from transfercases used in '81-'86 CJs. The 1980 Dana 300 features a shorter tail housing which allows a slightly longer rear driveshaft.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/xfer/d300f.jpg

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/xfer/d300b.jpg

Comment

What Fubar said, dana 300 TC. Also you have a T-5 trans..its a smooth shifting five speed but was never intended to last with hard off roading or higher HP motors.

To answer your first question, the Quadra-Trac used an AMC version of the GM TH-400 automatic transmission, it is a full time four wheel drive system that is chain driven and has an aluminum case. They are not the strongest by any means. Be happy you have the Dana 300.

Comment

so most of the wagoneers had this quadratrac i take it, i think i remeber that now.

What about front end?? is it dana 30 or how do i tell, i have to put both new oil seals in and would like to lock the front while i have eveything apart.

Thanks

Comment

i would lock my front end but i street drive mine a lot. i also keep the front hubs engages so i can just go off road at any time. locked front end and engaged front hubs make for a difficult ride. there are lockers that "self engage", but for the front i'm waiting until i can muster up the cahones to splurge on a selectable locker. i just hate to drop $800 on something i don't really need.

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean
            so most of the wagoneers had this quadratrac i take it, i think i remeber that now.

What about front end?? is it dana 30 or how do i tell, i have to put both new oil seals in and would like to lock the front while i have eveything apart.

Thanks
            Yes, its a Dana 30 in the front. Your one of the few lucky ones to get the Dana 44 in the rear, most came with the two piece axle AMC 20. If you swaped out the T-5 trans for say a T-176 you would have a great combo that would handle alot of off road abuse. Of course I know a few people that have run the T-5s for years without any problems...but they are aware of the "weak link" and don't abuse it, plus low HP motors (258cid).

As for a locker, IMO the ARB Air Locker is king...but you need to buy the ARB compressor or have some sort of On Board Air set up. Next would be the Ox Locker, this is cable operated and has some good reviews. if you don't want to spend $600-$800, a "lunch box locker" like the Lock Right would be a good choice.
            Last edited by MotorHead; 05-26-2005, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X