X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 gears

to all of you guys with 83's....what gears were popular for this year? just got some widetracks for my jeep and the guy didnt know what ratio they are. guess i will find out tomorrow when i get them, but would like to have an idea...thanks, nutt

I think some came with 2.XX. I have 3.54's on my 83.

Comment

id be happy with the 3.54s...just dont want to see a 2 in the front. anyone else???????????????? please???????????????? also, does the widetrack share the same carrier as the narrow?? I just need to start figuring things out. i just get too excited all the time.

Comment

cj

I think it was 2.73, 3.31, 3.54, and 3.73 maybe

But 4.10 's and 4.56's are available

Comment

If you have the stock gears, you can go by this: http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/amc20.html

Comment

Which axle do U have; D-44 or the AMC-20?

U can look on the axle carrier just to the right on the back side where the cover bolts on & it will give U some letter/s "AA/DD/A/D " etc. pick one & it will give U the gear ratio, or just check the tag if U have one.

Comment

Almost all were 2.73. It's enough to make you puke. I think 3.31 or 3.54 were the lowest gears available in the early 80's. Look closely before you buy.

Comment

look on the tag that's on the diff cover. or, jack up the rear end, put it in neutral and spin the tires one time around and watch how far the driveshaft spins. you could get close that way if you know what ratios were available.

Comment

Gear ratios

If you're getting a Dana 30 front, there should be a tag bolted on with the cover bolts. If not, either counting the teeth or doing the driveshaft spin are your only options.

If you're getting an AMC 20, you can look at the top of the diff housing and you will see a letter or letters stamped into it. Based on that stamping, you can determine what the ratio by visiting various tech sites that have that information.

I have an "A" stamped into mine and it's a 3.54.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade
                    Almost all were 2.73. It's enough to make you puke. I think 3.31 or 3.54 were the lowest gears available in the early 80's. Look closely before you buy.
                    got the whole chassis with them, and they are 2.73s. I think i puked a little when i found out. WTF? jeep never made a race car, why have those gears? BUT, i got it for the widetrack axles.....so, can i just put the 3.54s out of my old narrows in there, if i swapped the carriers with the R&P? I know the carrier for the 2.73s is different, but between the wide and narrow they should be the same. right?

Comment

Hope so, that is how 4wd sells them. I was thinking of doing the same. You will still have to shim everything but it should fit.

Comment

Starting in 1980, the CJ's went to hell. Sorry guys, if you own a later model CJ, but it's true. They used crappy gears, crappy aluminum transmissions and lots of crap on the engines. Plus no V-8 starting in 1981. The only good thing AMC did in the 80's to the CJ was the Dana 300, the widetrack axles, and the Dana 44 rear in the '86 CJ. Give me a 70's CJ anyday.

Comment

crappy aluminum transmissions
                          you swapped in a NP-435 Granny 4-speed in your 70s

of crap on the engines.
                          you swapped in a 350 Chevy in your 70s

and you swapped in a Ford 9" Rear in you 70s... guess you were a busy little

so ... swap all that into a 80s and whats the difference? then you also get
                          Dana 300, the widetrack axles, and the Dana 44 rear in the '86 CJ .
                          looks like its a trade off to me

(I'm planning on a 4.0 head swap, SM465, and one piecers in my AMC20)
                          Last edited by cftj; 06-07-2005, 12:27 PM.

Comment

CFTJ - You are absolutely right. My Jeep originally had an automatic. Threw that in the trash where it belongs. The NP-435 is a cast-iron tranny with an aluminum top cover. The 304 that was in my Jeep was a good motor that was easy to work on, but expensive to build - hence the 350. If you're going to build a Jeep, it really doesn't matter what you start with. But if you want a bulletproof combo from the factory, you can't beat a 70's CJ with the 304 and the T-18. My family has owned a lot of CJ's and the worst was an '81 with the 258, SR-4 and 2.73 gears. What a turd! Just my 2 cents.
                            Last edited by Renegade; 06-07-2005, 10:53 AM.

Comment

.......... the worst was an '81 with the 258, SR-4 and 2.73 gears. What a turd! Just my 2 cents.
                              That is not 2 cents, that is fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X