X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sye????

I search and search and can't find anything so I'll just ask. I was thinking of doing a spring over axle susp. Is this a good idea for a CJ5? I know it's fine for a YJ but I don't know much about cj's. I looked at the T-case and I think it's a dana 300. The york looks very short so do I need a SYE kit? I'm having a hard time finding a kit or a longer rear drive shaft, does the front one need to be longer too? And now for the really dump question....how is the spare tire mounted on this thing. I don't have the book and there isn't any drill holes. The tail gate just flops down so it can't mount on it. Please give me a clue.

You can spring-over a cj5, but make sure you do your research and do it right. Dana 300 already has a fixed yoke, so no need for an sye. You might want a cv driveshaft for the rear, may even be necessary because of the short wheelbase + big lift & flex a soa will give you. Front driveshaft should be OK. As far as the spare tire, I don't know but I guess you could just buy a rear bumper/tire carrier combo.

Comment

Keep in mind when you do the spring over, you get between 5" - 6" in lift right away. If you already have lift springs, your gonna be way up there. I did the SOA conversion and run stock height springs. I easily fit 35" swampers and could run 38" with no trouble. Be sure you get the caster/camber angle right on the front otherwise you'll have big problems.

I did end up getting new drive shafts. I don't remember how much longer they needed to be, but I wanted to make sure that when I flexed the two ends didn't come apart. I run standard U-joints on the shafts and they work fine. You can set your rear pinion angle when you weld on the leaf perch's so thats no big deal.

Comment

By the time you end up doing a SOA lift correctly with the highsteering you will be well over the price of the Rubicon Express 4.5 extreme duty lift. The RE kit will net you about 5.5-6 inches and lift and flexs very well.

Comment

Working...
        X