X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEI in amc v8

I wanted to know if anyone can tell me what distributors the AMC v8 HEI's are made from. I know the AMC I-6 uses a chevy, but I'm not sure about the AMC v8.

Trade Secrets...

FUBAR, check the description on the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

"Will fit all V-8 Jeeps or AMC engines 290-304-343-360-401. This is a GM (DUI type) HEI Distributor that has been machined to fit AMC V-8 engines. Unit has been totally disassembled, inspected and worn parts replaced. New ignition cap & rotor, new vacuum advance unit and new distributor drive gear installed. Hookup one 12 volt constant source wire and do away with all your other ignition components, as this unit consolidates everything into one. (Parts for this type of distributor if ever needed are available at any auto parts store)."

I have been trying to 'nail this one down' for months. Someone out there might pipe right up with a GM p/n but I haven't been able to find one. As you can see it says, GM that has been 'machined'. I read an article that indicated the 304 post '77 was a motorcraft and that conversion to high energy ignition was possible with slight mods but this is for TFI, not HEI. I know this isn't an 'abc' answer but it's as close as I've come to seeing the GM moniker attached to the 304 V8 HEI distributor. Hopefully someone on the forum has this little bit of knowledge tucked away somewhere. I'd certainly like to know it myself. blackwater

Comment

Most of the ones I have seen were regular HEI tops with a new lower base machined to match the AMC dizzy specs.

Comment

Fubar, mine came with a paper that told me what year and engine it came from incase I ever needed parts. I have hid that paper from myself somehow. I am 99 percent sure it came from a buick. As soon as I find that paper I will let you know.

Comment

i have also heard that they're the same as ford (motorcraft) in some, if not all applications. i've tried to get answers from manufacturers like procomp, mallory and davis but none give me a straight answer either.

Comment

found this link HEI Link

it explains that the GM distributor is acutally machined to fit the amc motor. mystery solved. thanks for all the help.

Comment

The AMC HEI conversion I puchased off of ebay, said to use stock parts off of a, '77 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser with a 403
              Last edited by joeycj5; 06-04-2005, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X