X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with choking/surging 4.2

I recently put in a DUI distributor, offenhauser intake and Holley Truck Avenger 470 on my 85 CJ7. It ran great for a couple of days but now it is choking and surging when I step on the gas in first and second. It doesn't die, but comes close before surging forward. Any ideas?

maybe

Try the timing

Comment

Vacuum leak, Rich/lean, Check all jets/settings, Check all your plug wires at both ends. Corrosion will screw ya up pretty good.
      Hope this helps

-Nick

Comment

thanks

I've checked everything mentioned except for vacuum leaks. I'll double check that next. Thanks for the information.

Comment

I have heard that the Holley 390 was almost too big for the 258. I had a Motorcraft 500 cfm carb and it ran really bad. Switched to a smaller cfm, 275, and now it runs a lot better. I also have a clifford four barrel intake and HEI ignition. Still haven't got my timing tweeked just right yet, but already it runs better. As stated above, could also be a vac. leak. Those are a real pain in the ***.
          Just my .02
          High5

Comment

the 670 on my 361 started doing this and it got so bad it would flood the motor out while it was running so bad that i would get only 3-4 cylinders firing. had wet plugs and a bad stumble right above idle then it would start to choke out, like it was missing. i worked with holley on it a couple days and they just told me to send it back so they can tear it down and find out what the deal is. so my beast is down again but eh...should not be too much longer before they figure it out. i would call em and see what they think, as their tech team is really good.

Comment

with the dui you can widen your gap to 50-55. this will make a much bigger/hotter spark and may help that gas burn. did you get the DUI live wires to?

Comment

hey fubar...i have a MSD Probillet HEI distributor on my 361. you think i should widen up my gaps?? i currently have it set at 30 or 35 i think...if i can this may help keep mine a littler cleaner. did not think about that, i just set em to standard points gap. and it does have the 45,000 volt msd coil on it. sry to sorta hijack.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJeepMan4804
                  hey fubar...i have a MSD Probillet HEI distributor on my 361. you think i should widen up my gaps?? i currently have it set at 30 or 35 i think...if i can this may help keep mine a littler cleaner. did not think about that, i just set em to standard points gap. and it does have the 45,000 volt msd coil on it. sry to sorta hijack.

yes, gap it to .050-.055

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                    with the dui you can widen your gap to 50-55. this will make a much bigger/hotter spark and may help that gas burn. did you get the DUI live wires to?

Yes, I got the live wires also. Hopefully your idea will help. Thanks

Comment

well the new carb got here and it did not help so i double checked everything in the msd distributor, the control module failed 2 outa 5 tests, and get this the control module is only about 1 month old...new one will be here on friday! you may wanna check the ignition control modul, evern if it is new it could be bad, you coulda gotten a lemon, and plus it never hurts to check.

Comment

Working...
                      X