X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Problem...

about 2 weeks ago i had the 304 curse put upon me. i did the inevetable. i hit the oil pump cover with my differential and lost all my oil the next morning on the way to school. well i got it home and put oil in it and she turned over and ran fine. today after about 5 hrs of drivin around aimlessly i was on my way home, i noticed a knock when i hit the gas. dad couldnt figure it out and i went to get John, John is a Jeep man he has had probably 90 jeeps in his life and knows almost everything about them. i started it up and gave it some gas till it started to knock. right away he said i spun a bearing. well after an hr of torment we finally got the oil pan off. and started to inspect the rod bearings. turns out i did spin at least 1 possibly 2 or more bearings. worse part is is that the one i know that i spun for sure is the no. 7 cylinder which isnt good. anyone know where i can get some good rod and possibly main bearings for cheap?

What about the crank? It can't look to good. DP

Comment

there are a ton of places that carry bearings for amc. you'll have to call around for prices after you figure out what size you need. if you spun them, you'll have to do some machine work on them. probably be best to just pull the engine and rebuild it. btw, i don't think you had any curse, just bad judgement.

Comment

Just pulled these numbers from partsamerica/advance autoparts online...

Main Bearings
        Sealed Power 5037M10
        Set; Oversize .010"
        $49.88

Sealed Power 5037M1
        Set; Oversize .001"
        $101.99

Sealed Power 5037M20
        Set; Oversize .020"
        $49.88

Sealed Power 5037M30
        Set; Oversize .030"
        $101.99

Crankshaft
        Crankshaft Rebuilders 25190
        Casting #3214724; AMC Engine
        90-Day Free Replacement
        Note: Discount not included on this product
        Ships in 1 day
        Weight: 61 lbs.
        $198.88
        $72.00 core

Comment

Yes sounds like time for a bottom end rebuild at least. Bearings can be had at most auto parts stores.

Or maybe you find another 304 or 360 for now

Comment

thanks guys youve been a big help. my buddy john has a torn apart 304 he might give me if he can find it. for now im just gonna do what i can to get her goin again, its my daily driver and only vehicle so i need it to get to work and currently dont have time or $ to rebuild the current engine. is there any necessary precautions i should check to make sure the current crank is ok to use? there seems to be no problems with it actually, still shiney and i see no grooves in it.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
              there are a ton of places that carry bearings for amc. you'll have to call around for prices after you figure out what size you need. if you spun them, you'll have to do some machine work on them. probably be best to just pull the engine and rebuild it. btw, i don't think you had any curse, just bad judgement.
              well as we all know the 304 has a stupid oil pump location. right above the differential. im not saying its a design flaw but it is so to speak. yes it was my fault for hitting the bump as fast as i did. engine ran fine for close to a week. then this happened. i just hope nothin else is gonna show up.

Comment

You should not have run the engine after smacking the oil pump. You should have pulled it apart to make sure everything was ok.
                And I thought that the pinion snubber kept your axle from hitting the oil pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
                  You should not have run the engine after smacking the oil pump. You should have pulled it apart to make sure everything was ok.
                  And I thought that the pinion snubber kept your axle from hitting the oil pump.
                  well you see the springs are either factory original or my buddy john who literally built the Jeep, least the body since it was all rusted, thats why the body panels are ribbed sheetmetal he built it about 25 yrs ago i think, put them on. the bump stops are pretty much gone, least the rubber is. im gonna make some at work and put em on. i put a 1 1/2 inch custom shackle lift on it made out of 1/4 inch thick steel to pick it up a bit to prevent that from happening again

Comment

If you are going to lift it then you need to also increase your bump stops for your axle. Else you will have more problems. I would also fix the snubber so you don't have it happen again. I find if I do it once by accident, Murphy will make it happen again.

Comment

yea i know..but that happened before i put the new lift shackles on. i will definitly put bigger bump stops on. just incase it happens again im buying all the pump covers i can find. im also building a 304 up when i get the block and such, its torn apart right now. so im gonna sit down and rebuild it with performance parts...just a little more power

Comment

I spun a bearing or two on my 258 and as they dug deeper the more problems surfaced. I put a reman in. If I would have just gone with the reman first I probably would have saved over $1000 in labor. Might be tough to swing while still going to school, but this engine has a better warrenty than anything else I've got.

Good luck!

Comment

well currently i have new rod bearings in..dads puttin the mains in while im at work tonight. im buying a pontiac fiero for $100 and trading it to my buddy john for another 304 engine..complete too. of course im gonna tear it down and inspect it..and do some work to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X