X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust questions

Sorry but I think this could get a little long...

Currently have stock manifolds on 304 with the passenger side crossing under body in front of tranny and tansfer case to driver side to a t-instection and then running back to catalytic converter and muffler then exit out driver rear corner of jeep. Was done this way to keep cost down when I first got jeep. All was fine until install of lift kit. Problem is that front driveshaft can rub against crossover exhaust.

304 is basically stock. No real upgrades at this point. Just waiting for engine to blow to either rebuild or replace with a newly rebuilt 304 or 360 (could be a while before this happens). A friend owes me some money and said he would pay for a new exhaust for me (this will cost him more than actually giving me the money he owes me but he is feeling a little generous plus he is able to get a discount from the guy who will be doing the exhaust). Plan is to do dual exahaust with new converters and Flowmaster mufflers for a nice deep sound.

Options:

1) Walk away from the "bonus money" and just insist that the friend gives me the right amount of cash he owes me and wait for something to happen to the exhaust and/or driveshaft and fix it then. And it is entirely possible that this could be a while. I would have to flex out the front with the swaybar disconnected to get any big problems I think.

2) Keep stock manifolds and let muffler shop just connect new exhaust to them. Could later upgrade to headers when I updated the engine and spend a little money to get the exhaust reworked to fit the headers.
    Pro: no cost to me and jeep would have a nice V8 sound
    Con: still have old, heavy, rusty manifolds under the hood

3) Replace manifolds with standard in frame headers.
    Pro: Get nice new headers that would look good for a while but that would eventually rust or blue. But they could still last for a while and even though they may not help out my tired 304 now... they may help the next engine I end up with.
    Con: Some cost to me now even though may not really improve performance much.

4) Replace manifolds with nice ceramic coated in frame headers.
    Pro: Get nice header that would look good for a long time and would still fit either planned future engine.
    Con: More money.

Ok... so if money were not object or if I were just getting what I "want" vs what I "need" this is a no-brainer I think. But I'm really not settled on which way to go.

If I get headers then for option 2 it would be these:
    http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetai...ductsku=99200B
    if I went with option 3 then it would probably be these (it's not clear if these will rust or blue though):
    http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetai...oductsku=99208
    or:
    the Hedman HTC Hedders in the catalog (part number 99206B on page 166 of Early Summer catalog lower right coner of page) but not able to find on the website for some reason???

Any suggestions? Other suggested headers to consider? Any personal experiences would be helpful. I'm just really not sure what to do.

Thanks.

I finally replaced my rusted out fenderwell headers with the Hedmann Elite headers from 4-wdh. Kind-of pricey, but excellent quality. Nice, thick flanges, thick-gauge pipes, great collectors. The finish is kind of a brushed aluminum look - not shiny but very durable. They are cheaper than the HTC headers because they do not have a shiny, show-car finish but are built with more durable materials. I love them. I know I'm in the minority, but I like fenderwell headers. They look cool, they sound cool and when people see your Jeep, they know you have something strong under the hood. But they can be a bit of a pain on hardcore trails. Good luck

Comment

Well you have to be careful when dealing with in frame headers. The wrong set and you will be hitting them with your clutch linkage.
      However, the headers for a 304 will fit a 360. So get the headers now and the custom pipes. They can carry over to the engine upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade
        I finally replaced my rusted out fenderwell headers with the Hedmann Elite headers from 4-wdh. Kind-of pricey, but excellent quality. Nice, thick flanges, thick-gauge pipes, great collectors. The finish is kind of a brushed aluminum look - not shiny but very durable. They are cheaper than the HTC headers because they do not have a shiny, show-car finish but are built with more durable materials. Good luck
        So will these Elite headers blue or rust? I really don't care about the blueing too much. I just don't want rust too soon. I'm not going for show car look really... but I would like it to look a little nicer than it does currently (and stay that way for a while).

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
          Well you have to be careful when dealing with in frame headers. The wrong set and you will be hitting them with your clutch linkage.
          However, the headers for a 304 will fit a 360. So get the headers now and the custom pipes. They can carry over to the engine upgrade.
          Any way to know if the in frame Hedman Elite Hedders will hit my clutch linkage without just getting a set and trying to put them on? I mean they are listed specifically for the AMC V-8's.

And I agree that this exhaust system would carry over... just not sure if it is worth the money to do it now. I'm leaning toward doing it. I think this is going to fall more into the "want" category instead of the "need" category.

Comment

check with an exhaust shop.. I know my buddy had to have a drop bend put in his to clear the front shaft. On his it loked like there was room to go above but it would have been more difficult.
            I know he did loose a little ground clearence there but.. it gets him by.

Comment

I have used the headman in frame header on my 304 for a while. They've worked good for me. It is very tight on the clutch linkage side. All I had to do was rotate the conecter flange and it doesn't hit. If you want to PM your email, I'll shoot you a picture so you know what your dealing with. I have dual exhaust so i'm not sure how you would do a cross over to single on these headers, but i'm sure an exhaust shop could figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom74'CJ-5
                I have used the headman in frame header on my 304 for a while. They've worked good for me. It is very tight on the clutch linkage side. All I had to do was rotate the conecter flange and it doesn't hit. If you want to PM your email, I'll shoot you a picture so you know what your dealing with. I have dual exhaust so i'm not sure how you would do a cross over to single on these headers, but i'm sure an exhaust shop could figure it out.
                Well if I redo the exhaust there is no plan to do the crossover especially if I install headers. The whole point of the exhaust redo is to go to a dual exhaust system.

Also... PM sent.

Comment

Por-15 makes a paint that they claim can withstand header temperatures and will prevent rust. Their other stuff works good so I would assume this does too.

Comment

The original Hedmann standard headers on my Jeep lasted 8 years before they rusted out. I installed the Elite Headers in February and they still have the same finish. No evidence of rust whatsoever & no blue-ing. I'm expecting these to last > 15 years. I love them.

Comment

I had my engine rebuilt completely and wanted to improve the sound a bit and make it breathe out a bit easier... ;o)
                      So I got some new headers from 4wd, out of the frame, some mufflers and ended up with sidepipes with 3.5 inches inner diameter.
                      Well, the result? It's LOOOOUUUUUD, really loud, too much even for my taste.
                      The engine runs great that way since it has less back pressure but still enough to work properly. With that done I got rid of the ever overheating fuel tank but now had overheated brakelines which I had to reroute to keep them cooler. The headers were directly running along the brake lines to the rear wheels and gave them a good bbq :o) ... now it's solved...

Comment

Working...
                      X