X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust !

So, I am replacing springs and shocks from the 30+ year originals, myself. I have come to one on shackle on the frame that the bolt just won't break from the bushing in the bracket welded to the frame. I don't own a cutting torch and don't really want to purchase one for one bolt. Please give me more ideas. I must break it free, yet reuse the bracket. Have been trying turning the bolt and hammer punch routine...

Got Grinder?

Comment

Soak it in PB Blaster for 2 days. And if you have a air hammer it will come out. If not a BFH always does the trick just keep your fingers out of the way... Also might want to try heat. Steel doesnt like the heat and you will useually win but you have to get it pretty damn hot.

Comment

Propane torches dont get very hot, but a few warm ups and cool downs does wonders. Im talking like a torch for sweating copper pipes, only about $15. This has worked before, but yours might have TOO much rust. They also sell MAP gas in the same canisters that get a little hotter yet.

Good luck!!

Comment

THe MAP torch is a good idea, but you will get the best results with a real MAP torch, and not just a propane torch with a MAP cylinder. For a little more $$ you can get a MAP set up that uses an O2 tank for an extra burst of heat. You can even cut with them.

Oh yeah, be carefull with any torch near the gas tank.

Comment

cut the nut side off with a cut off wheel, heat the hanger with a propane torch around the bolt, not the bolt its self. hit it with an air hammer or a hammer and punch. it should come out then.

Comment

Thank you all for suggestions. After cooling off and thinking about it for a while, the bolt came out with a two-arm bearing puller to break bolt from bushing collar followed by a punch and BFH to push the rest of the way through.

Comment

Working...
              X