X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont start

My CJ 8 will not start, as in all of a sudden. It has been driving great all year, and now, when I turn the key I just get a "click" sound. I know the battery is fine. Any ideas?? Thanks, Chris

had the same problem a few months back...it was the starter...easy and cheap...2-3 bolts if i remember correctly...about $35 with core.

Comment

"Jump" the solenoid on the p/s fender and see if the starter will kick in.
      That'll tell you if it's the starter or solenoid.

ragg

Comment

it's either the solenoid, starter or the starter isn't grounded properly.

Comment

The click you're hearing is the solenoid, so it shouldn't be the solenoid. First check your ground to the starter as FUBAR mentioned. If that doesn't help, replace the stater. Good luck.

Comment

it could be a bad cable also ... you may want to hook a pair of jumper cables up to your battery and ground the neg to the frame, and touch the positive to the starter .... if it cranks over, its either a bad connection or bad wire ...

Comment

My beastie did the same thing the other day. I had zero voltage with the key on, but 12 volts with it in acc'y. At first it would click, then nothing. Jumping it did nothing.

My solenoid nuts had loosened up. A couple quick turns with a 1/2" wrench and all is good again.

Comment

The exact same thing happened to me last night. First, to get going you can pop start it, we got it on the first try in second gear... now to the problem.

I am willing to bet we have a problem with corrosion on a connection. The click means the ignition is working, but as with me, I bet your lights dont dim when you try and turn it over. That means the starter isnt putting a load on the battery. We would also be getting the repeated "click, click, click".

I was getting water in through the top vent so I took the grill off, and used caulking to create a better water seal around the grill and in each screw hole.

I bet you live on the east coast where it just got hot and humid for the first time this year.

My plan is to start at the battery and put a wrench on every connection to ensure eveything is good and corrosion free.

Good luck and let me know what you find out.
                TD

Comment

I had the same problem Tuesday on my work truck. Wouldn't start in the morning. The solenoid was clicking, like yours. Went down to the auto parts store (in a different vehicle), bought a new (actually reman.) starter, pulled the old one off, put the new one on, and, a buck thirty later, she fired right up.

Comment

My problem ended up being the starter solenoid, a $12 part and maybe 15 min of work. I could hear and feel the click coming from the starter solenoid and figured since the starter wasnt turning it had to be something bad in the solenoid. Took it off and shook it and could hear all kinds of stuff rattling in there. Glad it works now, but having a co worker in a suit pop start me in 93 degree heat was kinda fun

Comment

Working...
                    X