X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column interchange

I've been told that the tilt steering columns from 1976-1986 are the same. I find this hard to belive! can anybody help? I need the overall length and the shaft type at the bottom,either1"48 or 1"dd. thanks

Can't say for all of the years but I just put an 85 into an 82 that was originally in a 79.

Comment

they should be the same. a guy i know got one out of an eighties camaro. you just have to do some stuff to them, but not very diff. its a gm column i think from the factory anyhow

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-One
        Can't say for all of the years but I just put an 85 into an 82 that was originally in a 79.
        do you remember if they had a spline or a oval shape on the lower shaft.

Comment

Spline, I have two out, if you want I could compare the two. I have one out of a 79 and one out of an 85.

Comment

Spline, I have two out, if you want I could compare the two. I have one out of a 79 and one out of an 85.
            That would be great. How long are they not including the wheel but do count the shaft at the bottom. It would be a great help to me to know.

Comment

Well I don't have the extra 85 here, I found out it must be in Grand Rapids, so I couldn't measure it. However i was bale to get the 79.
              And that goes like this.
              From nut for the wheel to the end of the shaft is 33"
              From the bottom of the housing(not bearing) to the top of the housing, not including the stuff fo the wheel is 29 3/4"
              Hope that is enough info for you. If not PM me and ask, I can get pictures of each but it will take awhile to get the one from GR.

Comment

Well I don't have the extra 85 here, I found out it must be in Grand Rapids, so I couldn't measure it. However i was bale to get the 79.
                And that goes like this.
                From nut for the wheel to the end of the shaft is 33"
                From the bottom of the housing(not bearing) to the top of the housing, not including the stuff fo the wheel is 29 3/4"
                Hope that is enough info for you. If not PM me and ask, I can get pictures of each but it will take awhile to get the one from GR.
                That sounds about write. Did you notice if the shaft was 1"round or 3/4" where the joint went on?

Comment

I will try to remeber tonight when I get home to measure it.

Comment

Well I didn't remember but I remembered tonight.
                    I didn;t have the calipers so I had to measure with a tape. I got somewhere in 7/8 - 1".
                    I hope that helps.

Comment

thanks yes i thought it was 1" but wanted to be sure. thanks for the help scott.

Comment

Working...
                      X