X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Options?

I am having a real tough time trying to track down what the factory options were for my CJ7 and figuring exactly what I have on mine. I didn't find much in a forum search either.

It is an 86 CJ7 with the 256, T5 and Dana 300. I have the M20 in the rear and I think it is a Dana 30 up front. I have not found any tags to tell me what ratios I have, tho with 235-75R15 tires, I get rubber thru 3rd gear and can chirp 4th if I shift it fast enough.

(Ok, yes, I know...M20 and a T5 I had better not do that kind of thing! I did it once just to see

I have a tag in my glovebox stating the vehicle is equipped with a locking rear differential. I know it leave two marks all the time...on pavement or in dirt. I chirp around tight corners from time to time and it will kick out the rear really willingly under power in a turn. I have run l/s's before and they didn't act like this.

Did Jeep offer a locker stock in 86? What would it be and how strong is it? I am sure I need to add a different fluid when I change it out. I plan on doing this soon (if this spring rain ever freaking lets up!)

Thanks!

Rob

Model 20 gear ratio id:

clicky clicky

Not sure on the locker though, I know mine has the trak lock or whatever its called but it sure isn't a locker! I think part of the VIN will give you what options package it came with (ie. renegade etc.) or take the VIN to a dealership and get a build sheet for it.

I guess its possible the PO put a locker in or maybe the factory trak lock was recently re-built before you got it. I know I rebuilt mine once with new cluch disks and what not and it would break loose if I gunned it on the pavement going around corners. Either way, just enjoy it!
    Last edited by jeepwhore; 06-18-2005, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I am planning a 1 pc conversion and to weld the tubes and truss it.

Later on, I'll contemplate a new locker. Either way, it does beat an open diff!

I did get some numbers off the front diff's tag. The M20's tag is long gone.
      895300 4 0 38
      3 31 43-13

I'll hit up the dealership...didn't even think about a build sheet!

Comment

Update:

I ran the numbers in Google and actually had a hit that worked!

http://www.kctruckplaza.com/JeepPart...fo%20Chart.pdf

I did a search on the page (Windows uses Ctrl-F) on 8953004038. It seems this is a 3:31 ratio axle. Kinda cool .pdf doc!

(Guess in my rush to ask y'all about it I should have waited untill I scraped the mud off before I made the last post...oh well, laying under a not-stuck rig in the rain makes ya thinkin' scattered! ~LOL~)

jeepwhore: Thanks for that link! Had I stopped to read it before I got muddy to begin with, I'd know what was in the back of it too!

Thanks!
        Last edited by Gryphon; 06-18-2005, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon
          It is an 86 CJ7 with the 256, T5 and Dana 300. I have the M20 in the rear and I think it is a Dana 30 up front. I have not found any tags to tell me what ratios I have, tho with 235-75R15 tires, I get rubber thru 3rd gear and can chirp 4th if I shift it fast enough.
          Get rubber thru 3rd? That 258 got a blower,NOS or something? I spun a two piece axle doing this same thing. But I had a 350 Chevy, 176, Detroit and 33s.

I have a tag in my glovebox stating the vehicle is equipped with a locking rear differential. I know it leave two marks all the time...on pavement or in dirt. I chirp around tight corners from time to time and it will kick out the rear really willingly under power in a turn. I have run l/s's before and they didn't act like this.

Did Jeep offer a locker stock in 86? What would it be and how strong is it? I am sure I need to add a different fluid when I change it out. I plan on doing this soon (if this spring rain ever freaking lets up!)

Thanks!

Rob
          Jeep never offered a "locker" from the factory as far as I know. Just a rear limited slip. Is it a tag in the glove box or a sticker? What does it say? Pics?

Your jeep has the same stock running gear my '86 had from the factory. 258cid,T-5, 300, Dana 30 front, M20 rear and 3.31s (43/13=3.3076923).

Comment

Rubber laying is more a finesse of torque application than brute horsepower. Nope, stock 258 as far as I can tell, tho it is quite clean and has new gaskets at all the joints, so I assume it has been rebuilt recently.

I wish I knew who the PO was, there is waaay too much rust to be a local rig, and the gravel I have cleaned out of nooks in the body is not local geology either.

Anyway, yeah, I did it once to see what it would do, now I am about paranoid about spinning a hub.

The "Locker": yes, it is a tag in the glovebox. It says something to the extent of 'when jacking the vehicle, support both rear wheels off the ground as this vehivle is equipped with a locking typr rear differential, and both rear wheels will turn'. I'll try to get a pic up. From more searching, it looks like it is a Jeep issue Trac-Loc (?) limited slip. I'll know for sure when I change the gear oil. I have that planned for sometime in the next couple weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X