Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I recently swapped in a new 258ci and have been chasing an exhaust leak ever since. The middle 3 & 4 port on the manifold seems to be warped and I can't get it to seal up. It leaks on the top and bottom. I have tried everything short of having it milled (cross filing, two gaskets, changing bolt lengths etc.).

My question is, before I go out and buy a new manifold (I don't want a header) can anybody tell me the lengths of the bolts that attach the intake/exhaust manifolds? Also the thickness of the cup washers? I want to be sure it's the manifold.

I missplaced the ones that were on the old engine and they weren't factory either. If I need to I may just go down to the dealer and see if they sell a set of bolts and cup washers (I thinking about $30.00 to $40.00 if I'm lucky).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Those manifolds are a pain to tighten. Did you tighten from the center out? Are you sure the gasket is in place. Can't answer the bolt ? I know how irritating an exhaust leak can be. Good luck. DP

Comment

When you have the manifold out check for any warp or low spots.
      If you have a low spot I do believe you can get it milled down flat.

Comment

you can get the manifold decked, but it may be cheaper to just buy another one from a junk yard. or you can buy the one off of my old 258 since i'm going to trash the whole engine in a couple days.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I'm headed over to the dealer right now to see about some bolts. Wish me luck!

Thanks.

Comment

manifold leak

buy to regular exhaust gaskets and one metal header exhaust gasket and make a sandwich withe the metal header gasket in the middle
            i have not yet seen this fail to work unless you have a serious warp

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
              you can get the manifold decked, but it may be cheaper to just buy another one from a junk yard. or you can buy the one off of my old 258 since i'm going to trash the whole engine in a couple days.
              So what are you going to do with the insides of it???

I remember SDboy talking about stroking his old 4.0L. He might want it.

Comment

Working...
              X