X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Properly erecting a factory Cj top?

Ok, first the disclaimer: I did a search and found nothing, so sorry if I missed a thread

When I got my CJ7, the soft top was on and seemed ok. I took it off and put it back on for the first time a couple weeks ago. Took me a lot of swearing, a hammer, pliers and 45 minutes. Just did it again as it is supposed to rain all next week. Took about 15 minutes and went a lot easier.

The top is ok, but starting to fail (shot windows, seams opening up and the driver's window is held in with safety pins!) the bows are fine and the snaps are crap. I am planning a new snap set for now and a Besttop asap (but I want the 1 pc axles and a new carb first!). It is still a pain in whatever body part ya wanna name. Am I doing it right, is this just "welcome to Jeepland" or is it time for a new top?

What I did this time: Lay the top across the rollbar and set the windsheild channel and do the windsheild snaps. I straighten it over the rollbar and the tub, then I set the front bow and inserted the bars for the door striker (B pillar). Once they were set, I snapped the front side straps around the striker bar (pillar). Then I set the snaps on the tub, raised the rear bar into place, snapped it in and set it to the final height. I had to stand on the open tailgate to get this done. I tightened the rear straps, zipped the window and snapped the tailgate in.

Does this sound correct or am I missing something? Any suggestions (other than a new top)?

Thanks all!

Rob

It always helps, if possible, to lay the top in the hot sun first. It will stretch out just enough to make it easier. I tore a zipper seam on my used bestop trying to rush it on for my wife one morning - it was really cold (for california!).

MattJ

Comment

i've got a replace a top that i'll sell you if your top is bad. mine looks like new. it has the snaps system and i have the rail system. i'll sell you the top, hardware and doors for $250. all are in excellent condition. i'm on my way to billings/yellowstone in a week and a half so i can meet you with it to save shipping.

Comment

Working...
      X