X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Detroit or ARB

anyone have an opinion about either one? will the detroit be a pain in the butt in a DD? also detroit softlocker or truetrac?

If it was me, I would go with that OX locker ... you don't have to fork over the $$$ for the compressor ... and it is still selectable so you don't go around barking the tires every time you turn a corner ..... unless of course you think it sounds cool

Comment

Detriot vs ARB in daily driver

From my veiw point I would and will eventually go with ARB. I currently have a Detriot in mine and if it rains I have to lock in to go down a gravel/dirt road and I don't even think about driving in the winter. I like the OX locker design but living in the humid midwest the thought of cable corrosion concerns me. The big thing I've allways heard people talk about on the ARB is air line vulnerability but every selectable has a wire/ cable/ airline to connect it and the way I look at it is I've yet to rip a brakeline or diff vent off (just lucky maybe?) An automatic locker may be all right for A daily driver in other areas but for me I would and will be going with a selectable and using ARB.

(just my $.02)
      Doug
      Last edited by jeepmon; 06-28-2005, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I use ARB and have had no problems with it.

Comment

I got a ARB in the rear of the YJ and it works great. It is my DD so the only regret was going with 4:88 gears. As for the compressor now ya got OBA.
          2 mods for the price of 2 1/2. j/k

Comment

Why do you regret the 4.88's? I take it it's a 6 cyl.

Comment

If you have the extra $ go with either the OX or the ARB. The only downfall in using a Detroit in a DD that I found was tire wear. I never get any "barking" around corners and you just get used to the different driving characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
                If you have the extra $ go with either the OX or the ARB. The only downfall in using a Detroit in a DD that I found was tire wear. I never get any "barking" around corners and you just get used to the different driving characteristics.
                Heck yea, I now speed up or slow down when changing lanes. Works like a charm. However JeepMon is right, when you get into a slippery situation it takes some serious stupidity to drive fast. Most of the time I go into 4 wheel. But it can be fun if you like to play around in slippery mud.
                If you got the money, go with a selectable. That way you can get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Has anyone tried the powertrax lockers? That suppossedly unlock while cornering.

Comment

That is what the lockrights are supposta do as well ... when there is no torque going to them, they "unlock" ....

I drove mine to work yesterday ... and had 3 people ask me ... what's wrong with your jeep?? What can you expect for the price though .... they have served me well, I run them front and rear ... they are hard on tires (espically on slickrock in Moab) .... but if that is what you build it for then who cares!

Comment

Originally posted by willness33
                      Why do you regret the 4.88's? I take it it's a 6 cyl.
                      It is a 6 and she has lotsa berries thats not the problom.
                      my top comfortable speed is about 60 which is real slow on the highways here.
                      On the trail where it belongs the 4:88 work great as soon as the bucks get up there the front is getting a ARB as well

Comment

Working...
                      X