X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail light wiring?

well, my left rear blinker wont turn on. at first it was the whole tail light, but the plug just came off. now, ive replaced teh conections, checked teh grounds, and it wont turn on. the thing is, the left one is difrent than the right. the left only has 2 wires coming out of it. a black and a red. the right has 3. a white, a white with a black stripe, and a green. im lost.... any help???

i don't mean to be a jerk but did you check the bulbs? the white wires are the reverse lights i think...i ripped all that stuff out and put in some LEDs without reverse until i get a ticket or two...

Comment

yeah, the bulbs are fine. (your not a jerk, i forget stuff like that simetimes) well, the reverse lights work..... i dont know. i plan on getting soem led's soon also, but... i dont want a ticekt in teh meantime.

Comment

hi there,
        have you checked the wires from the turn signal switch to the rear lights? mine were broken several times or gave wrong signals like reverse going on while braking an that sort of stuff... I got tired of fixing it every other month, so I replaced all wires to the back, works fine since... and no more tickets

Comment

thanks, ill take a look sometime soon. to make things a little easyer, do u remember what color the wires should be?? i think its missing a wire altogether. the left has 1 les then the right.

Comment

Let There Be Light...

Did that work?

Climbtothebeet,

I would have tried to answer this one earlier but I didn't understand exactly what you had done. At first I thought you'd replaced the left light with a new one that only had two wires. It sounds like all you did was work on your existing set up. I'm not sure why you don't have the same number of wires. Remember that you have a dual filament bulb to work as 'brake' and 'turn signal'. I don't know if there is another bulb for the backup light or not but 'something' has to take power to it if there is. Are you satisfied that you properly repaired the connections that you spoke of when the plug fell off? If the wiring has been properly spliced/solder/crimped back together then take the bulb back out and shine a light in the bulb socket. (Is it corroded/rusty?) Take some of that Scotch bright stuff, it looks like a green scrub pad, cut it so that you can wad it up and scrub the little bumps down in the bottom by rotating the Scotch bright round and round in the hole with something. Make sure you shine the 'walls' of the connector as well. Scotch bright the bulb, too. Both the little protrusions on the bottom of the bulb and the walls. Hold it to the light and make sure that both filaments are intact. I think this bulb will be an 1157. It should only fit into the socket one way. Turn your park lights on and fit the bulb back into the socket and 'fiddle with it' a bit. I'm thinking that it'll probably come back on if you put things back the way they were 'wiring wise'. As for that third wire... Look into the well behind the wheel and see if there is a spare dangling from that part of the harness. Something doesn't sound right about the wiring but I'm assuming you had both brake and turn signal prior to the plug failure. Anyway, try this stuff and see if it helps. Just because the bulb is 'good' doesn't mean that it's making good connection in the socket. Oh, if you don't have any Scotch Brite, steel wool will work (maybe a Brillo pad). Just make SURE you blow out all the little 'steel hairs' before you power it back up. Happy Fourth, man.

Comment

let there be bright light

sorry but good try.Blackwater!! The double filament bulb does 3 things turn and break are on the larger filament the running lights are on the shorter one. at the steering column the left turn and break is yellow and the right is green. you said the right side had green so i would guess you are looking for a yellow wire.

Comment

thanks scott!! that is EXACTLY what i needed. now to find the time around the holidays.............. shmeh

Comment

Keepin' me straight...

Originally posted by scott
                  sorry but good try.Blackwater!! The double filament bulb does 3 things turn and break are on the larger filament the running lights are on the shorter one. at the steering column the left turn and break is yellow and the right is green. you said the right side had green so i would guess you are looking for a yellow wire.
                  Thanks, Scott. Doin' the best I could with the 'little' I have to work with.

Comment

Working...
                  X