X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will spark occur if timing is off?

I have had a problem with spark and still no solution. Jeep did not run when I got it (freebie). Have good power everywhere, too and through the cap, but that is where it ends. Can't get a spark to the plug. I don't know it the timing is correct. Should it fire even if the timing is badly off.

The spark plug should spard regardless of how bad the timing is off, assuming all of the other components are good.

Comment

You have the plug grounded and no spark on any cylinder? DP

Comment

Grounded several different places and still no spark. What baffles me it the power is good, 9+ volts to the cap and still no spark. The rotor and cap are new and so it the distributor. Everything seems to work fine until I test for spark.

Comment

points or electronic if points check the coil
          Last edited by DPete; 07-03-2005, 09:09 PM.

Comment

was a points and replaced with electronic It had a points dis. from a 68 chevy but I replaced it with original equipment.

Comment

I'm not a pro at AMC dizzys, but if they are anything like GM HEI's, I would be now willing to say ingition module is at fault. Edit: Crap, I just actually realized you changed back to points. Mmmmm......Change it back. Easier to fix that way. Or upgrade to an HEI. Then I may be more help.
              Last edited by willness33; 07-03-2005, 09:49 PM. Reason: woops

Comment

I think he said he changed to AMC elect. ign.
                If that's the case:
                I am unable to find the perfect length rotor for my dizzy, now wether I have some b@stard one-off factory dizzy, I don't know, but I would check to make sure the rotor is not grinding away at the cap like mine was. I just gently clamped the rotor in the vise and cut with a hacksaw. careful not to cut too much, you can always take back off and cut more. Heck, I even had to do this when upgrading to TFI!

But to answer the original ?, yes spark will occur even if timing is off.

If you are using a spare plug to check spark, I will suggest using a timing light if you have one. When I diagnose a spark problem anywhere but on the trail, I keep my timing light around, just to be 100% sure either way.

Obviously if the timing is way off, the engine won't hit, you might not be getting a ground and missing that the timing is just way the hell off.

Oh, don't use a timing light to set time either, AMC balancers are known to slip.

Comment

If you’re getting fire to the cap, but can’t find any coming out of the cap either you are way out of time or your plug wires are on wrong. You say you have a new cap and rotor so now it’s time to get back to basics. Put the engine on the compression stroke on the #1 cylinder with the harmonic balancer on 0 degrees. Pull the cap and see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire on the dizzy. If it is, check to make sure the plug wires are hooked up in the right firing order. These two things are very easy to mess up when you swap distributors. Plus, what engine are you trying to time and what distributor are you running? This info will help if the above does not work.

Comment

Working...
                  X