X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popping noise

i just replaced the rear end in my 81 cj7 with another amc 20. the noise that i keep hearing is a popping sound coming from the rear of the jeep when i take off in first. this is a first time i have swaped a rear end in a vehicle and i not shur eif i have done something wrong. any input would be great.
    thanks

You could have spun a hub. Do you know if it has stock 2-piece axleshafts? When my hub spun it was not a pretty sound. Being in the midst of an obstacle I wasn't sure where it came from. I'm lucky I made it home, and lucky I was planning on upgrading the shafts anyway.

MattJ

Comment

You could have the trac loc. They are noisy monsters sometimes.
      Check your numbers on the casting, that should tell you. I do know that people change the gears but most people will not remove a locker unless replacing it with a better one.

Comment

I would go with mjo ... sounds like you spun a hub. Time for a set of Mosers!!!

Comment

longshot

this happened to me once, check your shocks in rear

Comment

2 more questions could it be that the pinion is not set right? and how do i check for a spun hub?

Comment

Depending on how screwed up it is, you may be able to jack up the rear end and put it in gear and spin the tire while it is in gear ... but it has to be pretty hashed out for that to work, usually it will be bound up tight enough that it will not spin. Your probably just going to have to pull it out and look at it, which is not hard, but if you have never done one can be sort of a pain in the rear. There are some good step by step instructions on here if you choose to go that route.

As for the pinion not being set right, unless you did not put your shims back in corretly, or somehow got the backlash off, but that would make noise all the time, not just starting in first. A bearing may be bad, but that would make more of a whine than a pop????

I would bet on those pesky hubs .....
              Last edited by Bret; 07-07-2005, 05:53 PM.

Comment

My Dana 44 lost some teeth on its spider gears. This of course is worst case.

Goo luck.

Comment

Working...
                X