X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got a question

i was wondering if anyone here is running this in thier cj5.304/t176/dana 300. i need the measurement for the rear driveshaft...

Ok, I am going to give you some information here but you will most likely not be able to use it.
    It is 29 1/2" Collapsed length, 31 1/4" running length. These numbers come from the 4wd catalog. However if you have any lift on your jeep it will change those numbers. I would measure to see if that works for you and then find out it won't and you will most likely need to order a custom one.

Comment

i wish i could go out and measure it. im buying the t176 trans from a guy on ebay and he has the old driveshaft from it but, he has a few laying in a pile. i wanted to get the driveshaft from him when i got the trans.

Comment

Ok, well take those two measurement and find the one you need. But like I said, if you have any lift there is a good chance it will not work. But if you are not paying any more for it, you might as well grab it to try.

What do you have in there now?

Comment

Crap, I read the wrong section. Those numbers are for the front.
          According to the book the t-17x was never offered in the CJ-5. I would thik at this point you will need to think about a custom driveshaft. You could grab the one form the CJ-7 and get it cut and re-welded. That would be 23 collapsed and 24 1/2 running.

Comment

right now i have a t-14 and a dana 20 i belive. i was hoping i wouldnt have to get a custom driveshaft. about how much do those run? money wise.

Comment

They can be cheap, they can be expensive. Depends on what you get. If you are going to wheel with it I would spend the money and get a good one. Tom Woods is the name that keeps getting to my ears. I guess he has a really great warranty program for breakage. If you know of someone that can make a drive-shaft it could be cheaper, but form what I have seen they are not much cheaper than Tom's and they don't usually offer that good of a guarantee.

Comment

two words TOM WOODS. I have one of their c/v drive shafts in my cj7 4in skyjacker lift no tcase drop and no vibrations to 85 mph.That is as fast as I care to go in it.It cost 400 with a c/v output yoke for a d300 and the trail hazard waranty,which they will replace it 1 time for road (trail) hazard.I would highly recommend them. That is who I will buy a new front d shaft from after I install my MORE srs.

get the premium shaft which has a better slip spline and a boot to cover it, the regular shaft dosent have it.

Comment

Any good local shop can build a driveshaft for under $100.

I had my monte carlo driveshaft shortened 3" and it cost me $45

I wouldnt spend $400 unless you have it in your wallet and go rock crawling every weekend.

Comment

I agree with the CV option but I wonder if he can get it into the small space of the CJ-5. But if you have the money get a Tom Woods. If you think you are going to do a lift, do it now. No reason to buy a driveshaft now, and another one when you lift it. At this point you will have to have some down time on your ride. I would plan a few weeks to get one made up and installed. If you plan to lift it later but don't have the funds right now, find a cheapy put it in, don't wheel it hard. Plan a new driveshaft with the lift kit.

Comment

the po never told me anything about a lift. but when i posted pictures of it on some jeep websites people tell me that they think i have a 2-3 inch lift. so mabye i should go with the tom woods right away.

Comment

It took two days to get mine after I ordered it from Tom Woods.That is not too long from a shop that specializes in 4wd stuff.I doubt that you will find a local shop that will give the same warranty that they will, plus the road hazard warranty that you can buy, I think it is worth the money that is why I went with them. Also does the local shops have the equipment to properly balance the drive shaft.I dont think you could get one built AND balanced for 100 bucks and them stand behind their work.

A drive shaft is not something that you want to skimp spending money on. My old drive shaft came out on me on the interstate at 65 (cj7) I would hate to loose one in a cj5.
                        Last edited by jeep450; 07-08-2005, 03:58 PM.

Comment

if you do in fact have a little bit of lift, then you will definatley need a cv shaft. that will be a long combo in a cj5, and with the lift, that would be one mighty short dshaft at a mighty radical angle.

Comment

yea i never even thought about the driveshaft unitl a few days ago. i really want to swap that into my 5 so i guess i really have no choice im gonna have to save for a little while for that tom woods diveshaft. but like you said that something you dont want to skimp on.

Comment

Working...
                            X