X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine not turning over?

I went on vacation last week and my jeep was running fine. it seemed harder to start and keep running but still worked good. I get back from my vacation yesterday and it wont even attempt to turn over. I checked the voltage onthe battery and its all good?. is this a bad starter? or what the hell else?

Thanks,
    Gishdream!

http://www.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforums/...hlight=starter

Comment

yeah its kinda like that but I dont get the click or anything.I guess its the solinoid.

Comment

try taking a pair of pilers and jumping it ... shoots a few sparks, but it will tell you if its bad and takes like 3 seconds!

Comment

Sounds like the battery to me. It might have 12V, but not enough amps to turn it over. Have you tried to jump start you Jeep?

Comment

sometimes a battery can get so dead that a jump start wont even do it. try a battery from another car if the solonoid is not to blame.

Comment

but the only thing is that I can run the heater just fine, I would figure if the battery was to low the heater wouldnt turn on. I tried to jump it also. diddnt even click.

Comment

Originally posted by gishdream
                but the only thing is that I can run the heater just fine, I would figure if the battery was to low the heater wouldnt turn on. I tried to jump it also. diddnt even click.
                The intire vehicle can run on a battery that shows 12volts but does not have enough amps to turn over an engine. I found this out with my CJ-5. That was a biatch to find let me tell you. Problem was it was a newer battery. So never rule out anything.
                However solenoids are cheap. Replace that one first and make sure you have a good ground to it.

Comment

Check With Your Headlights, Turn On Your Headlights If Their Dim Then Replace The Battery, But I'm With Everybody Else Check The Solenoid First. Oooor The Starter May Be In A Dead Spot? Hit It With A Hammer, Or Semi Large Wrench.

Comment

no joke? hit it with a hammer?

Comment

Yeah, he's right. Worked for me before, but if you're not even getting the click, it's the battery.

Comment

solidoid replaced.. all is well. thanks 4WD.Com. thanks everyone else

Comment

Working...
                        X