X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer reading?

Since I'm rebuilding her engine in the CJ7 I want to reset the odometer to zero as the engine will be rebuilt or do I have to buy a new one.

RollBar

I'm not sure of the legallity of that, but you'll need to remove the speedometer cluster from the dash. If I remember correctly, you'll need to pop the metal cover off the back and then rotate the odometer. All the numbers will end up matching 99999 then flip to 00000.

Comment

Maybe I'll hold on to the old one & but a new one, hummmmmmmm.

Comment

Well, how high is it now? if it is close to the 100K mark, just use a drill on the speedo cable untill it turns over to all zeros.

P.S. Leagality.... Most states set a limit on how long you have to report the actual mileage. Once a vehicle passes the limit in either age or mileage, then spedometer discrepancies are no longer reported. Most states that I have heard of set the limit at 10 years or 100K miles.

Comment

As long as you disclose that the milage is not correct if you sell it then I dont think you would get in trouble.

Comment

That drill idea sounds great. I imagine though, you'd have to hold down that trigger for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep450
              As long as you disclose that the milage is not correct if you sell it then I dont think you would get in trouble.
              There is a little box on Texas titles that say something to the effect of "The mileage shown is incorrect or beyond the measuring abilities".
              Just don't try to pass it off as new and you should be OK. If you never sell it, it is not an issue.

4wd.com does sell new speedometers. 5-85mph and 0-90mph. $106 - 5% member discount + shipping.

Comment

speedo gear

While we are on the subject, does anyone know where I can get the speedo gear for a CJ. I think i need a 38 tooth for my low gearing but I cant find a company that sells these for a CJ, all are for TJs.

Comment

Patience and a steady hand...

Rollbar,

The odometer can be reset but it's a little more involved than just popping off a plate. You do have to remove the speedo cluster then you have to disassemble it. The numbered face has to come off as well because the cage that holds the digits in is riveted through the face to the digit counter assy. You can drill the rivets out and replace them with very small machine screws. After you remove the counter assy from the cluster body you then take spring clip off. This will allow you to remove the digit cluster. It will 'freewheel' out of the cage. Set the counter at all zeroes and reassemble. Test it with the drill before you put it back in. Jackson & Son Jeep Parts in Talledega, AL sells used speedo gears. 1-800-445-7835. (They may even have some new ones.) You might try Collins Brothers Jeeps in Texas, too. Don't have a number for them but they're on the web.
                  Last edited by blackwater; 07-31-2005, 10:01 PM. Reason: wrote to the wrong guy

Comment

and then there is the little dial things that are around the numbers. I tried to do this, but I'm at a loss as far as how.

Do they spread apart, or do you pull the wheels apart and sort of pull, turn, push sort of thing?

Ideas? I have two that are just messed up. ugh!

Comment

memory...

Bigdaddy,

The reason I was able to write the prior post with so much detail is because I had just performed the 'operation'. However, I do remember that once you get the roll of 'numbers' out they don't all spin freely. It was sort of like a Rubick's cube. There were certain places that when I reached them the other digits would spin freely. Just keep diddling with it and you'll eventually get it set to all zeroes. (Sorry I can't tell you in better detail but if you got it that far you can get it the rest of the way.)

Comment

thanks for the positive attitude blackwater. I'll pull it out again and try it. the one i did get in right, so I thought, got stuck at 199 mark, and then rolled to 1112, and just clicks from there.

The spare speedo is the one I am working on, so it's out of the dash and in pieces. i think it will be worth it.

c-u

Comment

I don't know if the CJ ran it, but some of the other manufacturers had it set up so if it is put together wrong it will snap and start rolling 1000 miles at a time.

If you admit that it is not the actual mileage, it is not against the law. Or you can get a sticker from your local D.O.T. that states the mileage is not correct. Just don't tell them you changed the mileage, just tell themyou bought a new cluster because yours got misplaced during repairs (they may want to see the old one).

Comment

just out of curiosity would it not just be easier to slap in a new speedometer and then right the current milage down and stick it in the glove box?

Comment

I know here in Nv. any vehicle that is 9 years or older simply has actual mileage on the title when you sell it. You may want to make sure that the current mileage is on the paperwork for the motor when you replace it. Replacing the odo would probably be a better idea. When I replaced my 258 I tried to reset the odo and the whole thing quit working.

Comment

Working...
                              X