X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep outer axle seals

I'm trying to finish building a good M20 out of 2 that I have. One of them has the outer seals in between the housing and the brake backing plate. The other has them put on after the brake backing plate. It's been a long time since I had one apart, which way is the right one?

Thanks.

After scratching my head trying to remember myself the other day, I had to break down and get out the Haynes, Chilton's, and an old Turner 4WD catalog. They all show the seal outside of the backing plate. If I did it wrong I guess I'll have to take it apart...again. good luck, those two piece axles are a pain in the arse.

Comment

I did my one-piece axles with the seals outside of the backing plates.

MattJ

Comment

If you are talking about the amc20it has 2 seals. One up inside the axle tube and one on the outside of the backing plate.

Comment

You are supposed to put the backing plate on then the seal. The FSM recomends putting a thin coat of sealent to the housing and plate and seal when assembling.
          I have done this and I have not done this. Neither one leaked. So I guess take it for what it is worth.

Comment

I think there is a seal in the housing (between housing and backing plate) and then another on the other side of backing plate. At least that's what Moser puts with their axle kits. (?)

Comment

cj71981

How do you like the lockers your jeep? How does the lock right do on the street? I am looking at buying the same lockers for my jeep.

Comment

stroker

The lockright is very tolerable in the rear. I think that thing is worth its weight in gold and would highly reccomend it. I just installed the front Detroit and front lockers are real odd for the steering to say the least. I'd reccomend a selectable up front if you don't have manual hubs. where do you wheel?

Comment

I have a lockright also, and love it. No problems yet, and it really hooks up out in the dirt. Just let it unlock through the corners, get on the gas a little late.

MattJ

Comment

cj71981

I havent been out in it since getting it back on the road. I still have to install my srs and get a new drive shaft for the front. I havent really talked to anyone around here about where to go. When I got it, it had a 454 and drivetrain out of a suburban and it was f-ed up front to back. It has come a long way from when I got it. I tried to post some pics last night, but I have to find somewhere to put them on the net first.

Comment

Working...
                    X