X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel trashed-need suggestions

I am on the last pieces of my 63 CJ. Went to put the steering wheel/SHAFT back on after the fiberglass body install from 4WD . I noticed the previous owner welded an aftermarket stering wheel to the shaft and also bent the outer piping that holds all of the inner workings. I can get a new piece of pipe but am looking for suggestions for a steering wheel, not old school. This still has manual steering (I know, I know) but I want to get this thing on the road before winter. All I am lacking is seats and steering, rebuilt everything else. I had to cut the shaft to get the steering wheel off because they boogered it up so bad witht ehwelding job. I was previoulsy threaded in the center, that much I can tell.

Ideas?

DJ

If the shaft is still good what I did was go down to AZ and bought a Grant wheel.They had a install kit in stock. The wheel cost about 35 and the install kit was 9 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Can you get the shaft out in rebuildable parts? If so take it out and see if a machine shop can make you a new one. I am assuming you tried all of the early cj sites for parts and couldn't find any.

Comment

Or maybe this...

CJ,

PM Lynn and see if he has a source to cure your ills. He drives an older CJ. I think he's on the last page of the Members List in the 'Ls'.

Comment

lots of ideas

but first need more info. is the center shaft of the column going into the gear box. if so you wont find a machine shop to make it becuse this means the worm gear is part of the shaft. This is not somthing your going to get for a song an dance. If you send the box to be remand you said you cut the shaft so this is not a good core.$$$$ where did you cut the shaft? if you only cut the very tip where the nut was then you could drill and tap the end of the shaft and use a stud or bolt with a washer to re install the wheel.
          If you cut between the wheel and the tube, what holds the shaft in the tube, could you go half way down the shaft and cut it off sleeve it and weld a different top half on the top. I do not know what the spline or key was that held the wheel on but if your doner shaft is from a 1969-1990 gm straight column then almost any after market steering wheel can be made to fit it.
          could you find a doner box and exchange the shaft.

REMEMBER RULE #1 DONT CUT CORNERS ON STEERING OR BRAKES YOU OR SOMEONE ELSES LIFE DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU DO. but true

Comment

Just cut shaft where nut threads on

Scott and Lynn,

The shaft is in good shape, other that where I cut off the old steering wheel that was boogered (cap weld) on by PO. The outside pipe, that holds the housing and bearings (that I chased all over the floor after discovering they are not sealed bearings) is bent to Texas and will need to be replaced, looks simlpe enough if I can find the right sized pipe. I got a new steering wheel from Grant at AZ (Thanks to pervious post)
            So what I'm thingking is hit the shaft with a dye, put on install kit from AZ, and thread nut on, and called it suzie I am also thinking this could go south if I dont do it just right. I dont have a website or I could post the pic of hacked shaft. I cant find any right up's on this shaft..

DJ

Comment

get the correct tool

sombody makes a file with the different thread pitches on it to do what you are about to do. and yes trying to start a die on these threads would be a bad idea unless you've never had a single bad day in your life and then maybe. Ive seen these files at a auto parts store befor but i dont remember the chain.
              as for the bearing what size is the inside of the tube? our local tractor supply has a fairly good selection of sizes and a elevator -grain- uses a flanged bearing so you can just tap it in the tube. these normally have a 3/4 inch hole for the shaft.

Comment

Working...
              X