X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emission testing in NC

I'm thinking about moving to North Carolina and they have emission testing. What sort of things should I be upgrading or making sure is in working condition? I can see this is going to be a PITA.

Originally posted by canuck
    I'm thinking about moving to North Carolina and they have emission testing. What sort of things should I be upgrading or making sure is in working condition? I can see this is going to be a PITA.
    This is your lucky year NC is changing the laws as of Jan 1 2006. Right now anything over 35 years old does not need an inspection of any type. As of Jan 1 2006 1995 and newer will use the OBD to check emissions. That means anything older than 1994 will be exempt from emissions and will be a safety inspection only (lights, horn, wipers.......)

My inspection runs out in September I will take it and let it fail then wait it out till Jan and not worry about it!

Welcome to NC!

Comment

It is my understanding that older then 1995 will be tested using the probe in the tailpipe.

Comment

Originally posted by canuck
        It is my understanding that older then 1995 will be tested using the probe in the tailpipe.
        That is what they are doing right now, but as of Jan 1 2006 they will not have the sniffer in place. Its OBD II or nothing and since it wasn't mandated to be in vehicles until and including 1995 everything prior is not being tested.

from the NCDMV site:

"Additionally, through December 31, 2005, all gasoline-powered vehicles less than 25 years old, up to and including model year 1995, registered in one of the original nine emissions counties:

Cabarrus;
        Durham;
        Forsyth;
        Gaston;
        Guilford;
        Mecklenburg;
        Orange;
        Union;
        Wake;
        will require an exhaust (tailpipe) emissions test. "

As you can see this expires on 12/31/05 then the new law takes place.
        They do not have the new law listed on the site yet but it is in place and has been talked about on several news stations. The tailpipe test will be no more as of 1/1/06.

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Well I live in Guilford County and my 1977 only has to have safety inspection, my 1996 camry doesn't get hooked up to the exhaust, they open the compartment to my computer, it tells them if the exhaust is working correctly. They are thinking of any auto of 30+ years doesn't need inspection of any kind, maybe that's the reason my isn't inspected and they haven't sent me one of those 250.00 dollar fines if it isn't inspected.

Comment

You get 3 months grace period before you get the 250 dollar fine sent to you. Then you have an additional 30 days to get an inspection. Don't ask me how I know! Oh, if you still don't pass inspection, the dmv will not re-register your vehicle.

Comment

Catawba Co. .... no emmisions testing. All I had to do to the 83 Jeep CJ7 is put a cat on it.

Comment

Well I keep on getting my registration for my 1977 with no problems with it NOT being inspected, so go figure. Now watch something happen, I'm just lazy with not getting it done.

Comment

Sly

You might try some "researching." I do not know how you feel about it, though counties are more "relaxed" than others. In my experience, the Fayetteville area .

Comment

Yep... as others are hinting at... each county has its own rules. Typically the county with larger cities have stricter rules. For example Wake County (Raleigh and Cary in this county) have had emission tests for most vehicles, although older ones (not sure about the cutoff year) did not have to have it. In my county, Johnston County, they just added emission tests for vehicles for years 1995 and older and this is done only via OBD (I guess they are getting in line with what the new law will be). Older vehciles have to have a "safety inspection"... basically means you gotta have working lights, turn signals, horn, and all "original emissions equipment" (which they never seem to check) since most of the time the inspector is a high school kid who has no idea what to look for on most engines (heck... I would have no idea what to look for either... too many different emission setups on older cars... that stuff kept changing so much.) For that matter... the last time I got mine inspected the kid opened the hood of my jeep and had no idea what type of engine I had... all he knew was that it was a V-8 (it's a '76 304). My motor was made long before he was even born.

Anyway... the main point is this... as long as your vehicle is over 10 years old and you have all the basic stuff working right (lights, signals, etc.) you should have no problems finding a place that will inspect it for you (there are still some "good 'ole boy" shops that do inspections and will pass just about anything within reason.)

Also... as far as the inspection tickets go... my jeep was more than 6 months out of inspection (I realized this only when I got pulled over and got a speeding ticket and then the cop added on the "out of inspection" charge) and never got one of those tickets in the mail like they have been promising. Who knows... but I got my jeep inspected and they dropped that charge off my ticket anyway.

Comment

No update, but I live in Wayne, which has become more strict than previous years as of last year. They tried to tell me to put CATS on my 77 and I made them look it up. They found my 77 was grandfathered, so they passed it.

Comment

Everything you ever wanted to know about NC car inspections can be found here... emissions, lighting, safety, etc. (I've actually saved a copy of it to my hard drive.)

regulationsmanual/

basic info is here...

emissionsl

Good Luck!!!

Comment

I use to know a guy for 25 bucks U drive through his station buy a six pack & leave w/a sticker. ))

Comment

Yep, the law is that you gotta have a rearview mirror and a driver's side mirror or if you don't have a rearview mirror (or it is obstructed by a trailer or something) you have to have the two outside mirrors.

Seems odd that it's legal to drive with no mirror but you have to have one during the inspection.
                              Actually it is illegal to drive without the mirrors... you will probably only get a ticket for it though if you get pulled for something else or if you happen to go through a license check road block.

Comment

Working...
                              X