X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which R.E. lift kit?

Well I have decided that I am going to replace the lift kit on my jeep. I am thinking about Rubicon Express. Which one should I go with, the 2.5 h.d. and spring with soa? Or the 4.5 h.d. and keep it sua? Which one would be the best, it will be driven on the road alot, almost a DD. I have a 4in. skyjacker and it just dosent ride like it use too. Any thoughts.....

thanks,
    patrick

Skyjacker warranties there springs. Maybe the springs have sprung. But if you are dead set on a new lift take a look at the 4WD brand. Supposedly made by Skyjacker for a whole lot less and big massive double military wraps. I have the 2.5 kit and it cost less than half of a comperable Skyjacker or any other maker for that matter. With a steering stablizer added on, if I remember correctly, it was right at $600 after shipping.

Comment

lift

I 've never had a soa, but read it's not ideal for a DD. Not familiar with your current lift, but the RE CJ springs are .5" wider up front and really are a good addition to a CJ for both on and off the road performance. I think a soa w/ the 2.5 " springs will be more lift than the 4.5 sua so it's really how big do you wanna go?

Comment

skyjacker does NOT make the springs for 4WDH

Comment

From the man! Settin' everyone straight. Just the facts, ma'am.

Comment

I was told that the 4WD springs are actually made by BDS. I heard that this kit is pretty good but do not have any first hand knowledge and have not ridden in a jeep with it installed.

Anyway... I got the RE 4.5 kit about 2 months ago. It is MUCH better than what I had (stock stuff that was waaaaay worn out). It is still a little stiff but I think it is better than when I first put it on. My guess is that it will continue to "break-in" and settle a little more over time and should end up with a nice smooth ride (by cj standards anyway). If you are keeping it on the road a lot... my suggestion would be to stay SUA. My 4.5 kit actually gave me just over 7 inches of lift from where I was before (I think my old suspension was that bad). But most people do seem to get more than the advertised lift height. It will depend on the extra goodies that you have on your jeep too (how much extra weight you got pushing down... like engine size, winch, etc.).

The kit was super easy to install and came with everything you need (longer steel braided brake lines, tranny drop kit, shims for rear, greasable shackles all around, dropped pitman arm, etc.) the only additonal thing you need are shocks. Oh yeah... the kit also gives you the wider YJ springs for the front which is suppose to help improve the ride and reduce sagging over time. I added the RE monotube shocks to the kit and I really like them. If you look around you should be able to find some decent deals on the kits (don't buy directly from RE). I think my total charge for everything shipped was right around $1100.

Some people claim to have been fine without installing the tranny drop kit or the rear shims. The kit came with two sets of shims... 2 degree and 2.5 degree which you are suppose to stack together to get a 4.5 degree pinion angle change. When I first installed the kit I only installed the 2.5 degree shims and did not install the tranny drop kit. I had a "small" vibration but thought I could live with it. Well it got worse and then I got to inspecting the drive line and noticed that I managed to destroy my u-joints on my rear drive line. Caught it before it flew apart!!! I have now replaced the u-joints and installed all the shims and the tranny drop kit and I now have no vibration. So unless you have a cv style rear drive line... you probably should use all the parts included in the kit.

Anyway... good luck.

Comment

Try BDS, Very stiff ride, but pretty decent on the trail's, have a 4" on my cj.

Comment

Try BDS, Very stiff ride, but pretty decent on the trail's, have a 4" on my cj.
                Me too. Mine is a few years old but it actually doesn't ride too rough at all.

Comment

Spring over axle

I would look to using new stock springs in the rear and a set of YJ front springs. The YJ front springs are wider and flex much better than the stock CJ springs. My CJ is strictly a SOA and is about the same size as my freinds with a 7 inch lift and not too mention it handles and rides so much better than his. Stock springs with a SOA retains most of the factory ride unlike a lift kit which sometimes will throw it way off. You would have to install larger front spring pads, pay close attention to driveshaft angles and will need new driveshafts as well, as well as a few other things. but if your planning on a larger lift you would need that anyway. I would definetly look into this if your planning on actually driving this one the road as a DD and wanting it to perform well offroad

Comment

The extra costs associated with SOA wouldn't make it worth while for a DD. Sure it might ride great with stock springs, but you have to get a good anti axle wrap set up put in if you want it to perform well off road. And if it performs well off road you will eventually be replacing the stock springs again anyway. For simplicity and to reduce costs of new drive shafts & a high steer set up, and to eliminate the potential for improper castor angles and such I would say stick with a SUA 4 or 4.5" lift.

Comment

[QUOTE=jeepwhore]The extra costs associated with SOA wouldn't make it worth while for a DD. Sure it might ride great with stock springs, but you have to get a good anti axle wrap set up put in if you want it to perform well off road. And if it performs well off road you will eventually be replacing the stock springs again anyway. QUOTE]
                      I had actually meant to say STOCK HEIGHT SPRINGS and if your actually wanting to know the best alternative for the 4 inch skykacker lift they have now, i would say another 4' inch lift so there wouldnt have to be anything else done to compensate for more lift. The Rubicon Express lift kits are very high quality however, my buddy has one of thier kits and it does perform really well. The wider YJ springs do flex much better too.

Comment

Working...
                      X