X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time

ok. listen up, I'm almost 60 years old and just now got my first jeep, rock crawler, the guy I got it from lifted 4", 33"rubber. 86 CJ. Problem! he thru away front stabilizer. I want to drive it on the street, guess what, it's all over the place. My idea is replace the stab, drop it to 2 1/2" lift and put 2' body lift in. Is this the solution H E L P.

The 4" lift is not your problem if it was done correctly. You can purchase a new steering stablizer shock from 4wd for like $50 which may take care of some of this ... I would guess you are probably missing the front stabilizer bar ... or it has been disconnected??? Let us know ... but a 4" lift and 33"s should create an undriviable situation
    Last edited by Bret; 07-20-2005, 03:39 PM.

Comment

The sway bar may be missing also. I left mine disconnected one time and MAN
      talking about hard to control.

Comment

As I was told once, steering stab. just mask larger problems. Start at the box and work your way up. If the box is junk, replace it and so forth. If it's that sloppy without a steering stab. I wouldn't trust it to solve your problems. Check all the joints and make sure everything is tight. Also make sure your frame isn't cracked near the box. THis happens often. Have someone else sit in the drivers seat and turn the wheel. Look for excess play.
        I just replaced my steering box, it was a bit of a bear, but well worth it.

High5

Comment

new box

Did you get a rebuilt or a new one?

Comment

Check the pitman arm to see if it is dropped.With that much lift it will need it to keep the steering drag link level. The link should be horizontal or close to it. Otherwise every time you hit a bump itt will pull the steering (Bump steer) ,DP

Comment

Also make sure your front end is aligned. That can cause huge problems. A lift can mess up this alignment.

Comment

I used a rebuilt one I got from a local parts store. AGR super box seems nice, but at twice what the rebuilt box cost, I couldn't justify it. Plus, you are supposed to use their pump, that's another 160.
                My steering is much improved after this.

Good luck

High5

Comment

My idea is replace the stab, drop it to 2 1/2" lift and put 2' body lift in. Is this the solution H E L P.
                  I would go with a 1" body lift, if you're looking to completely eliminate tire rub at full flex. I run a 2.5" lift, no body, recently no sway bar and I rub occasionally off road (more now) but I like the lower center of gravity. As far as the wandering I would go through all the steering. Start at the box, as said, and check everything - ball joints, pitman arm, drag link angle, tie rod ends, etc. If you want the jeep driving great, it won't really. They're twitchy buggers on the highway. I've adopted a drving style of trying to keep it straight overall. Don't try to correct every wander instantly, you'll end up adding to the out of control feeling.

Congratulations on the purchase, you'll love it.
                  MattJ

Comment

'Steering' a Jeep...

Originally posted by mjo79
                    I would go with a 1" body lift, if you're looking to completely eliminate tire rub at full flex. I run a 2.5" lift, no body, recently no sway bar and I rub occasionally off road (more now) but I like the lower center of gravity. As far as the wandering I would go through all the steering. Start at the box, as said, and check everything - ball joints, pitman arm, drag link angle, tie rod ends, etc. If you want the jeep driving great, it won't really. They're twitchy buggers on the highway. I've adopted a drving style of trying to keep it straight overall. Don't try to correct every wander instantly, you'll end up adding to the out of control feeling.

Congratulations on the purchase, you'll love it.
                    MattJ
                    Matt just reminded me of the time I let my buddy drive my Jeep. He was trying to 'steer' Myrtle through every 'reaction' she was having to the changes in the road. He was scaring the crap out of me. I said, 'Mike, don't STEER her, POINT her. She'll know what to do.' Naturally I had to add the inevitable after the way he looked at me. 'It's a Jeep thing, man.'

Comment

Thanks to everyone

Thanks, everyone for the replies, sounds like a lot of good ideas. I think I'll start by replacing the sway bar, and steering stabilizer and go from there. Thanks again.

Comment

If the sway bar is there you shouldnt have to replace it as there is probally nothing wrong with it.Unless you want to put a larger diameter bar on it.

Comment

Check caster angles

You should have an alignment shop check your caster angles. If a 4" lift is put on and the installer put shims in the front axle that tilt the housing up to help the u-joint angles, chances are that your caster angle is now near zero or even negative. Zero or negative caster would cause the Jeep to wander and would also cause the steering to not return to center easily. I believe 3 degrees is about normal. Anybody know the spec?

-Eastrick

Comment

Look into shackle reversal

I would leave the lift kit alone and not add a body lift to it. And yes while sometimes people say adding a steering stabilizer to help correct a handling issue is like using a band-aid for a chainsaw wound simply but though if your CJ does not have a steering stabilizer put one on it. Have you tires balanced and your alignment checked as well. Then look into doing a shackle reversal on your CJ. these kits are readily available from places carrying offorad parts. The addition of the kit allows for a much smoother ride on the highway and much better better handling as well as not scaring the crap out of you when you hit a huge dip in the road..lol. Also look into putting a track bar on it, you dont need a sway bar

Comment

Working...
                            X