X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel problem

Ok, got my jeep, the owner said it sat a few months not even plated in 05. he said they had to start it with starting fluid when they shipped it. when it got here i had to do the same then it ran. that was 2 days ago. i put new mulers on today and went to start it, theres no fuel out of the fuel pump. the guy said he put 20 bucks premium in it and the gauge shows almost 1/4 tank.i disconnected the line into the fuel pump and let it hang there almost on the ground, no fuel came out. i would think it should since it's lower than the fuel tank?
    i then sucked on the line and got a little fuel to come out. anyoine had similar problems with a cj7?
    should fuel flow out with gravity with that fuel line disconneted and lower than the tank?
    i ran this thing for about 10 minutes the other day then shut it off and today no fuel, grrrr.

follow up

took fuel pump off, filled sink with water, it pumps fine. just not getting any gas to it for some reason.

Comment

The first thing I would check is the filter in the fuel sending unit.

Comment

filter in sending unit?

Originally posted by cj-7
        The first thing I would check is the filter in the fuel sending unit.
        Is this filter back by the gas tank??? Hopefully it's not in the tank!
        I did look last night to see if there were any inline filters between the fuel pump and the fuel tank but didn't see any.
        I need to get a manual but need to get the jeep running today.

Comment

Unfortunately,

TR6...

The filter CJ7 is referring to is attached to the sending unit and it is inside the tank. The only other possibility is a plugged line between the tank and the pump. Loosen the gas cap first and see if maybe that'll do anything to help. Maybe it's vacuum locked but I doubt it. I'm not sure that you'd get flow when you lower the line beneath tank level as the gas still needs to travel 'uphill' since it exits the tank through the top where the sending unit is mounted. This would be a good time to check on why you weren't showing a full tank of gas on the gauge as well. (I've said all this assuming that you have a later model CJ and that your tank is mounted between the frame rails at the rear of the Jeep.) Good luck.

Comment

follow up to the followup

i pulled the tank and pulled the sending unit off. theres a metal tube then a black plastic piece that extends to the bottom of the tank to pick up fuel. it's clear you can blow thru the while setup. theres no filter on the assembly.
            the only other tube is the vent tube, which was cracked at the base. i'll jb weld it .
            so no filter in the tank i can see, fuel pump pumps water fine in my sink strongly. no clue why i get no fuel to the fuel pump still.

Originally posted by blackwater
            TR6...

The filter CJ7 is referring to is attached to the sending unit and it is inside the tank. The only other possibility is a plugged line between the tank and the pump. Loosen the gas cap first and see if maybe that'll do anything to help. Maybe it's vacuum locked but I doubt it. I'm not sure that you'd get flow when you lower the line beneath tank level as the gas still needs to travel 'uphill' since it exits the tank through the top where the sending unit is mounted. This would be a good time to check on why you weren't showing a full tank of gas on the gauge as well. (I've said all this assuming that you have a later model CJ and that your tank is mounted between the frame rails at the rear of the Jeep.) Good luck.

Comment

Perhaps total line replacement is a neccessity. I have had line to accumulate junk and turn such a kidney stone. Particularly rust. Indeed, make sure, as you know your pump does, all else is in the clear.

Comment

fuel problem solved

tried the old fuel pump last night in the kitchen sink with water, pumped good.
                SO a guy at work said he used to have a cj and 3 times the filter in the tank was clogged. so i pull the tank, no filter in mine.reinstall tank. try the fuel pump in the sink again. doesn't pump a drop and air comes out of a little hole in the pump. buy a new one fixed problem. will post my NEXT problem in another thread arrrgh.

Comment

Did you remember...

...to check the sending unit calibration as far as the 1/4 tank trouble you mentioned? And you are supposed to have a filter at the end of the suction tube on the sending unit. Of course it will operate without one but you'd really be well served to install it. If I remember right it will help to access gas that's lower in the tank as well. Right now you're only going to pump gas as long as the tube is submerged. Do you still have the tank out? Check your 4WD catalog. It shows the filter. I just remembered... you said twenty bucks premium... that's only about a quarter of tank these days isn't it?

Comment

Never mind...

Originally posted by blackwater
                    ...to check the sending unit calibration as far as the 1/4 tank trouble you mentioned? And you are supposed to have a filter at the end of the suction tube on the sending unit. Of course it will operate without one but you'd really be well served to install it. If I remember right it will help to access gas that's lower in the tank as well. Right now you're only going to pump gas as long as the tube is submerged. Do you still have the tank out? Check your 4WD catalog. It shows the filter. I just remembered... you said twenty bucks premium... that's only about a quarter of tank these days isn't it?
                    Just reread your post... you put the tank back already... (Back to my inability to multi-task...) I was trying to read your post and do something else at the same time...

Comment

Working...
                    X