X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade VIII+

Can someone tell me how to remove a broken stud out of the frame where a tap has precariously broken off? Typical bits are no match for this unremovable broken tap.

Those taps and screw extractors are tough, see if you can find a diamond or carbide tiped drill bit and use that, otherwise cut out the nut insert and weld in a new one.
    Last edited by tracraym; 07-22-2005, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Grade 12.5

...unfortunately, it is the trnx xmember-frame stud. I hate to know the price of those bits.

Comment

dont wast your time on the diamond drill bit. if you cant get it with carbide drill bit then use a small tip and a air hammer sometimes the hit of the air hammer wil shater the tap and it will come out in pieces. if not i agree with above grind of the nut.

Comment

Shattered

Sounds good. I will at least try the carbide and the hammering, first. Though as for throwing a grinder to the nut, it is enclosed in the frame--no way to get to it, you know. 'Preciate it.

Comment

Just cut a small square out of the frame and the nut falls out.

next get a thick piece of metal (1/4 works well) and cut it about 2 inches longer than the hole and just narow enough to fit snugly inside.

drill the filler plate in the center, weld a nut to the back.

slide the filler inside the frame, and position the nut in the correct spot using the skidplate as a guide.

tack the corners so it won't move,

remove the skidplate, then burn that sucker in like there's no tomorow

All fixed.

Comment

Or,

or just knock pound that biatch with a bfh until the nut breaks off inside frame. then drill a hole above it in the top of the rail. buy longer bolt and nut and go all the way through. i have this on two of the six on mine. works good thus far, but i would not want all six that way. just use some big washers and try to get a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut.

Comment

Thoughts...

To Idaho and Wisconsin, sounds stressful on the rest of the frame. I'll have to look at it and think about those thoughts, ppreciate it. ...Did try a six incher before, the nut backed off on it's own will.

Comment

I will admit that if you don't know what youre doing when welding on a frame, then you had beter have a biycle handy, you'll need it. I don't like the 6 incher idea, the longer the bolt, the more it stretches and the weaker it is overall. Still one has to admit, the 6 incher is better than the bike.

You can use a nylock nut, or use 2 nuts and jamb it on, they won't back out then.

Comment

Skeered

I must admit, I am scared to weld to the frame, when it comes to integrity of the structure. Yeah, six inches is better, I guess I meant that the frame seems to not hold (flexing) up to any torque on that bolt--anyways, there are five others to take up the slack.

Comment

Yeah... this problem sucks. I got a similar problem right now and have been mulling over several options for fixing. I stripped out one of the nuts in the frame for the tanny x-member mount. Right now I just have 5 of the 6 installed and all is fine. I will fix it... just haven't had time and haven't decided the best route to go yet. I was considering cutting the frame but really didn't want to go that route either. I could go around and weld nuts at all six points... simple fix and if I ever screw one up... I can cut it off and weld a new one on. I already have a drop kit on my tranny anyway. That extra little bit from the thickness of the nut would not hurt anything. Don't know... just still thinking about it I guess.

Comment

Fabricate

Seems to be my thought, too. Working with it, the new Xmember I have only has 4 of 6 holes to match. Coincidentally, the broken bolt coincides with the misalignment hole--angle iron and welding a nut to the side of the frame should solve safety factors.

Comment

not quite as bad...

Originally posted by jeffm3434
                          Yeah... this problem sucks. I got a similar problem right now and have been mulling over several options for fixing. I stripped out one of the nuts in the frame for the tanny x-member mount.
                          Jeff, your situtation doesn't sound as dire. Couldn't you just drill and tap to the next larger bolt size? You'd have a b@st@rd but it ought to hold just as well as the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvatus
                            I must admit, I am scared to weld to the frame, when it comes to integrity of the structure. Yeah, six inches is better, I guess I meant that the frame seems to not hold (flexing) up to any torque on that bolt--anyways, there are five others to take up the slack.
                            yea thats what i mean. i would not want all six bolts going through the frame, but if it is just on out of six, hey, its better than not having one at all.
                            if you do decide to knock out the nut there is also the option of drilling and tapping a hole in a square plate, and dropping it into one of the holes on the side of the frame and use a magnet or something to get it to the hole that you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by nuttzach
                              yea thats what i mean. i would not want all six bolts going through the frame, but if it is just on out of six, hey, its better than not having one at all.
                              if you do decide to knock out the nut there is also the option of drilling and tapping a hole in a square plate, and dropping it into one of the holes on the side of the frame and use a magnet or something to get it to the hole that you need to.
                              Brilliant idea! Can't do anymore damage that way if it does not hold--but why wouldn't it? It will. I'm on it...
                              The carbide was chewed up.
                              Last edited by Sylvatus; 07-30-2005, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X