X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions regarding my CJ

I have several questions regarding my CJ-7 that I have not been able to answer through my own research. As stated below in my signature my Jeep is a 1980 CJ-7 Laredo with the 304 V-8 and automatic transmission.

1.) When driving on the road my engine temperature always runs close to the "H". However, my oil pressure indicates that my pressure is within normal operating pressure range. I have installed a new raditator. The engine is a remanufactured. However, the other day, in 100 degree F day and a 100 mile road trip, my needle for my engine temperature was at the "H", but nothing happen. Later, I checked the coolant and it was fine. I also checked the oil level and it was fine. Do I have a faulty engine instrument, thermostate, and/or bad coolant? Also, since I have a M8274-50 winch which obscures most of the grill. Could the winch be blocking the air to cool off my engine?

2.) What type of transmission do I have under my Jeep? I personally think it is a T-44, but I am not positive.

3.) The Warn winch on the CJ-7 has an AMC logo and serial number imprinted on the M8274-50. Did the (or this) CJ-7 come from the factory with a winch already attached? I could post photos however the serial number is badly weathered and the AMC logo is barely visible.

Thanks for the help!

Rockhound

You know the answers to the questions you asked.
    Yest the winch does block some of the air, and yes you could get them with a winch, but I don't think it came from the factory that way but a dealer installed option. I don't think AMC put much on at the factory, I think most of the stuff was done at the dealers.
    The tranny I have to wait until I get home to check it out. I think you can type the vin# into a place here on the net(was mentioned here a few times) and get what tranny you should have, however be aware that what should be in there is not always so.
    As for teh gauge, I would buy a manual one and check it to make sure. When you are done put the manual one on the shelf for later tests.
    Or you could get a tempmeter from Sears and get a reading of the outside of the block, but I don't know how accurate that is.
    And lastly when your radiator was filled, was it filled properly? You could have an air lock in the coolent system, can happen, rare, but can happen.

Comment

hi rockhound,

for the temp question:
      yes, the winch is for sure blocking some or most of the air off the radiator, you might think about a larger fan with more blades that can suck more air through the radiator, works fine normally.
      to the tranny, I am not sure, my 79 has the th400 with the quadratrac attached but this combination ended by the end of 79 to my knowledge, they used the chrysler torquefleet 729 afterwards if I am right...
      to know the original equipment of your jeep you can contact the service guys at dc, with the vin they can tell you want went out of the factory

Comment

Originally posted by Toralf
        hi rockhound,

for the temp question:
        yes, the winch is for sure blocking some or most of the air off the radiator, you might think about a larger fan with more blades that can suck more air through the radiator, works fine normally.
        to the tranny, I am not sure, my 79 has the th400 with the quadratrac attached but this combination ended by the end of 79 to my knowledge, they used the chrysler torquefleet 729 afterwards if I am right...
        to know the original equipment of your jeep you can contact the service guys at dc, with the vin they can tell you want went out of the factory
        You must have a different set of DC guys in Germany than here. Our DC guys don't have crap on the CJ.

Comment

*lol* oh believe me, you wont have ours, they really suck, whatever you ask, the answer is: Your car is too old, we can't oder that, try it in a junk yard or in the States"
          When I checked on my car in Toledo during my vacation (ok, I went to the actual factory) they were able to answer the equipment question except the color

Comment

The temp issue: replace your rad cap. If it's too light it wont pressure up and keep the engine cool. You have to have the proper pressure....I'm thinking 15 or 16 lbs.

ragg

Comment

the full size jeeps used a torkflight 727 the cj used a 999 or 904 auto tranny starting in 1980 befor that it was a th-400 with the amc bolt pattern in the case or a nail head buick tranny with a adapter from the factory

Comment

Your 1980 would have a 904 Torqueflight trans in it, the 904 was used for a few years starting in 80, then it was the 999.. differences? not much

Comment

are you running a fan shroud?that could be part of the problem.in my last cj i ran a 350 and had to make a shroud for it.

Comment

I had the identical deal with my cj regarding question #1. Tried a few lower thermometers and utimately took it out all together and now the temp gauge is showing in the middle... not sure what the plan is for the winter...

Comment

Thanks for the replies-

Thanks everybody, I know some of the questions were given, but I had to ask anyways. I have Kono in the shop for now, getting routine maintenance(sp?). I do not know if it has a fan shroud. Kono does have a new raditor, cap, and hoses with a fixed speed fan. So, I am leaning towards a faulty instrument gauge. Also, I will have to confess; I am not mechanicaly inclined, but I am learning.

Another question, A few days ago I was off-roading and a 8 point plus whitetail jumps out in front of me. I come to a complete stop, open my door, grab my camera, and proceeded to get out. Then it occured to me that I had missed a step. I slam on the brake and put the Jeep in Park while it was moving alittle (about 5 mph no more). I heard my transmassion groan and creak a bit. Is my transmission ok? I did not mess up anything as for as transmission mechanics goes?

Rockhound

Comment

dont' forget the water pump guys. if the water doesn't circulate it's not going to do much good. plus, the belt on the pump had to be installed right and not slipping. i put a HV pump on mine. i run a 170 stat and it rarely gets to 180 no matter what the outside temp is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockhound
                          Thanks everybody, I know some of the questions were given, but I had to ask anyways. I have Kono in the shop for now, getting routine maintenance(sp?). I do not know if it has a fan shroud. Kono does have a new raditor, cap, and hoses with a fixed speed fan. So, I am leaning towards a faulty instrument gauge. Also, I will have to confess; I am not mechanicaly inclined, but I am learning.

Another question, A few days ago I was off-roading and a 8 point plus whitetail jumps out in front of me. I come to a complete stop, open my door, grab my camera, and proceeded to get out. Then it occured to me that I had missed a step. I slam on the brake and put the Jeep in Park while it was moving alittle (about 5 mph no more). I heard my transmassion groan and creak a bit. Is my transmission ok? I did not mess up anything as for as transmission mechanics goes?

Rockhound
                          To be blunt, you will never know until 'it goes.' Most autos have a sort of safety feature on them. They will have a spring 'clicking' when park is engaged while moving--a slow process to lock the vehicle down as to not to break costly gears.
                          This

Comment

Originally posted by raggmann
                            The temp issue: replace your rad cap. If it's too light it wont pressure up and keep the engine cool. You have to have the proper pressure....I'm thinking 15 or 16 lbs.

ragg

hay that sounds like good advice, i have in the past found that the fanclutch may not be turning at the desired speed ,in other words bad fanclutck.how about a flexfan?

Comment

Thanks for the information dudes. I will definitely look into.

Rockhound

Comment

Working...
                              X