Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
AMC 304 - BETTER PERFORMANCE (off the shelf) HEADS ANYWHERE?????? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC 304 - BETTER PERFORMANCE (off the shelf) HEADS ANYWHERE??????

I have a '79 cj7 w/ the AMC 304. I was looking for off the shelf heads w/ better air flow and all around higher mechanical performance. Edlebrock has some that I thought were for an AMC 304, but upon a 2nd look I don't think they fit the 304 v8.
    Last edited by BigSkyGuy; 03-11-2013, 06:41 PM.

Did ya call 4WD cause I sure thought that the Edelbrock heads work on 304 on up.

As for the 4bbl and cam ya it adds good power I will let ya know about the headers after this weekend.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Ratman! I thought those Edelbrock heads worked on a 304 too. That'd be great! I'll look into it more. I HOPE THEY DO!

Comment

I have read that the edelbrock heads won't work on a 304. Something about the valves are too big for the 304 bore size or something. I don't have any definitive proof, but that is what I read.
        High5

Comment

Thanks!!

Yeah, I figured, but do any of you guys know what kind of difference it'd make just to replace the intake manifold w/ one of the better Edelbrock ones 4wd has and replacing the 2 barrel carb w/ a 4? Significant difference???? I already have headers. The jeep came w/ them.

Comment

all the amc heads from 70 use the same bolt pattern 304 - 360 - 390 -401
            all the amc heads flow real good - best thing is do some port matching work in the runners and smooth out the ex ports then take out the sharp edges in the bowl area -- then get a good intake performer and around a 550 to 600 max carb
            bigger valves I would not do then you run into the vales not flowing good unless you open the chamber up around them the your comp will go down the heads are aready at a 59cc chamber you would have to go back to the late 60's to find a chevy stock head with that size chamber

rockers you would have to mill about 1/4" off the rocker boss and add a guid plate and drill and tap for 7/6-11 for screw in studs

best if you want more power is go to a 360 find a flywheel/flex plate for your tranny and it will bolt right in then you have 2.02/1.68 valves and a 58cc chamber

Comment

well, before I wrecked it, my 304 and drivetrain combo (see sig) made for a wicked combo, even while I was only driving on the front axle (read, not gettin in it too hard). I haven't driven it on the rear end yet, and I don't have a tach, but I will swear I've had the thing over 6 grand, and it was STILL pulling HARD. All I have done is .040 over rebuild w/ cast pistons from ebay (no name) edelbrock cam and lifters, 4wd timing set, TFI ignition, and I had a good valve job done (no porting or any other work). Also edelbrock performer and carter AFB (unknown CFM). maybe it's just me, but this thing has HP to spare!! and It's VERY torquey. I love the 304, cheap to build, equally at home on the street, or in the woods. and in a light CJ it SCREAMS!!!

P.S. Putting a chevy motor in a Jeep is like taking your sister to prom. It'll prolly work, but it prolly won't put out!!!!
              -stole from bulltear.com

Comment

Originally posted by 79cj7duner
                well, before I wrecked it, my 304 and drivetrain combo (see sig) made for a wicked combo, even while I was only driving on the front axle (read, not gettin in it too hard). I haven't driven it on the rear end yet, and I don't have a tach, but I will swear I've had the thing over 6 grand, and it was STILL pulling HARD. All I have done is .040 over rebuild w/ cast pistons from ebay (no name) edelbrock cam and lifters, 4wd timing set, TFI ignition, and I had a good valve job done (no porting or any other work). Also edelbrock performer and carter AFB (unknown CFM). maybe it's just me, but this thing has HP to spare!! and It's VERY torquey. I love the 304, cheap to build, equally at home on the street, or in the woods. and in a light CJ it SCREAMS!!!

P.S. Putting a chevy motor in a Jeep is like taking your sister to prom. It'll prolly work, but it prolly won't put out!!!!
                -stole from bulltear.com
                HAHAHA!!!! Hilarious, and true! Stick with tht AMC mill man, be true to your jeep.

I think my 304 pulls pretty damn hard and it's stock! I can't wait for down the road when I can do some performance mods.

MattJ

Comment

New Heads

I don't know about off the shelf heads, but I know of a place that ports and polish heads at a reasonable price. JDCengineering out of Minonk, Il. He specializes in race motors

Comment

You'd be surprised what a 304 can do with a little more fuel put to it. Mine has a medium cam, Edelbrock performer intake and 600 carb, headers and purple hornies mufflers. I could easily smoke my 33X1250's on my old M20 with 2.73 gears. It would bark the tires hitting 2nd and 3rd. This weekend I should be able to find out what it does with 3.73 gears.

Comment

Originally posted by meich75
                      You'd be surprised what a 304 can do with a little more fuel put to it. Mine has a medium cam, Edelbrock performer intake and 600 carb, headers and purple hornies mufflers. I could easily smoke my 33X1250's on my old M20 with 2.73 gears. It would bark the tires hitting 2nd and 3rd. This weekend I should be able to find out what it does with 3.73 gears.
                      With the 3.73 gears if you get on it to smoke the tires you will either spin a hub or twist an axle.

Comment

Wish I could find a running 304 around here. I had one before I bought the Jeep from my dad that I was going to rebuild with Edelbrock parts. Now that I have the Jeep, I can't find one anywhere.
                        Never should have sold it, but I "thought" I needed room in the garage.
                        I have ridden in many a 304 Jeep and I think with a few upgrades, like the performer intake, carb, and maybe cam, there should be more than enough grunt Of course power is like money, you can never have too much till you start breakin stuff.
                        High5

Comment

Don't know where you're from, but I have a block and a set of heads I would sell you. Just needs a quality rebuild-which any engine should get.

Comment

I would much rather find a running one than just parts. That way I could replace stuff as I could afford to. But, I'm located in Ottumwa, IA. Southern Iowa.

Thanks
                            High5

Comment

MOPAR PERFORMANCE< also makes High Performance heads for AMC v-8's

Comment

Working...
                              X