Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLAY in steering

Here we go again, next project.
    The 79 CJ has way too much play in the steering. I can turn the wheel at least a few inches before it actually turns the wheels. Whats the most likely culprit?
    I want to tighten this thing up as my next project. Is probably a little dangerous like it is!
    No i'm not driunk it just steers that way!

Do you have power steering? If so, I'd start by looking at the frame for cracks around the steering box mounts. Then check all the front end components (tie rod ends and what not). Not an expert but I'd start by looking over the whole front end. I'm sure someone else here will have a more definitive answer for you though.

Comment

I had the same when I got my 79 CJ7 from the previous owner (well the poor thing was abused, the rig, not the guy). So I went under the Jeep checking components. It turned out that the frame had a cracks right around the steering box mount (power steering). So I welded a u-piece over the frame holding on both sides and I installed a stabilizer that holds to the passenger side frame. While down there I also changed all the stab mounts and the bented tie rods and adjusted the whole thing... some work but it steers much better since.

Comment

After checking the steering box mounts for cracks, the next most likely culprit is the steering shaft between the column and the box. The rag joint near the box gets sloppy, and the ujoint at the column end of the shaft can too.
        The lower end can be rebuilt, the column end cannot. If there is slop in either end, rebuild it or replace it with a stock replacement... or buy a premium shaft with heavy duty ujoints at both ends, from Borgeson or Flaming River... one or both of these should be available through our friends at 4WDH...

Comment

Also check the bearing in the lower part of the column, that can make a mess of steering.
          Steering parts
          The bearing is part 18, the plastic part you might need also, that one is 17.

Comment

looked at it

it seems like it's in the steering box. welds look good luckily since i can't weld.
            the shaft turns and the box doesn't respond inside until it's turned more than normal. something worn in there i guess. umm maybe, err probably.

Comment

Most likely yes, you need a new box. I have heard you can rebuild them, but I have also heard this is a pain in the rump.
              Might plan on a new one.

Comment

You can get an exchange at napa for about $200. 4wd wants over $400 plus core I believe. I'm happy with my napa box, if only I would have tightened the steering shaft up on the box, I wouldn't have a trashed tub.

Comment

My CJ has wandered on the road since I got it in '91. I have tried everything to correct it and have lessened it but it has not gone away.

I have replaced the Box (manual) mounted to a beefed-up, one-piece, 3/8" welded steel bracket and put in a borgeson needle bearing shaft.

I have come to the conclusion that the play is mostly in the suspension. I can crank the steering wheel left and right and the front wheels will not engage until the slack in the suspension is taken up (about 1 1/1" each way). I run somewhat long shackles (6" I think) too. I hear that a shackle reversal is suposed to dramatically reduce the front end slop.

I've just got used to it and don't plan on doing the reversal.

Good luck!

Comment

If your frame or box is not cracked then it is most likely the steering septer. My '77 CJ7 had the same problem, I had play from 10 to 2 before I would even turn the wheel. Since everything underneith looked ok I replaced the steering septer and everything is great now. My new septer was about $350, but you can also get them used.

Comment

All

All of the above.
                      Mine, inparticular, had broken bolts where the box mounted and the others were loose because of it.

Comment

the old steering septer ehh

not sure what that is yet (septer) sounds expensive, would be my luck. the only loose thing i saw was that shock that connects to the bar from left to right. the passenger side has 2 u bolts that are definitely loose but don't think that has anything to do with my problem.
                        i need to buy a book on just cj models if possible. i've seen books that cover the other models as well but a cj specific would be better.

Originally posted by bama
                        If your frame or box is not cracked then it is most likely the steering septer. My '77 CJ7 had the same problem, I had play from 10 to 2 before I would even turn the wheel. Since everything underneith looked ok I replaced the steering septer and everything is great now. My new septer was about $350, but you can also get them used.

Comment

Bookworm

Wish I new more about the problem, for my future problems.
                          Don't know if Advance Auto Parts stores are in NV, but they have Haynes manuals on CJs--limited though.

Comment

Working...
                          X