X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtop question

Does anyone know how much a stock 85 cj-7 hardtop weighs?

Well, I can lift it off myself on my back and two guys can handle it pretty easy. So I can only estimate it's no more than 80 to 90 lbs max. If it is really critical that you have an exact weight I can weigh it since it's off right now.

Comment

well, mines been painted with a bed liner t omatch the outside of the jeep, and itt weighs a good 120 pounds

Comment

Pray you have a later model top, or you are looking at around 250 for an earlier version one.

Comment

mine is a 79 one and I can lift it but to handle it it takes two...

Comment

Originally posted by Toralf
            mine is a 79 one and I can lift it but to handle it it takes two...
            So is mine. Have you had a chance to weigh it? I took mine off my jeep by hand once, that was all it took, I knew I needed a lift for it. My 84 however, one person can lift and handle it if they understand balance. If I remember right so was the 83.
            To many hard tops, to many jeeps,...... ok, to many hard tops, not to many jeeps.

Comment

Mass

Penguin and me must be the only weak ones here. I can barely move my hardtop by myself. I say 250-300.

Comment

Yeah, my guess is 250-300. 1979 jeep, and top I assume. Also some PO cut a hole for a sunroof, but never put in the sunroof, so they RTV'd and bolted a piece of lexan or plexi in place. Maybe that adds weight.

MattJ

Comment

Hard top weight

Go to a quarry or a landfill or some place that has a scale. Call first,they might charge but try to talk to the actual scale operator and he might let you "slip in". However, the margin of error for the large scales is about 20lbs. Tell the operator what you are doing and show up with the hard top on and get weighed, go home, get topless, then return to the same scale. Keep in mind how much gas you use as this could effect your weight on the return trip. If someone is with you on the first trip, make sure that same person is in the Jeep on the return trip.

Comment

thanks guys i'm guessing 150 to 175.

Comment

Originally posted by melman
                      thanks guys i'm guessing 150 to 175.
                      Melman, I do not know if you are contemplating springs or what, but it's around 250# at the least.

Comment

Working...
                      X