Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow the CJ5

just checking
    CJ5 3 spd, hubs
    no problom towing it with the drive line intact?
    Going to OR for vaca in Aug.
    Also tow bar shackles anyone gotem, used um?
    thanks

Caution

My recommendation is to disconnect--remove, the dshaft.
    At most, only let your differential turn while towing.
    I have had prior "experiences," ended up expensive and/or 'accidental.'
    Especially with an automatic or quadratrac, especially.
    However, always check the diff fluid level prior to tow, or replace.
    Make d@mn sure the shoes (if applicable) are backed off, too.
    Last edited by Sylvatus; 07-29-2005, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Yep I have them. I love them. Towed my jeep around when I was working on it. Went like a charm. Don't forget to disconnect the power steering or the steering arm to pitman if you have power steering. I found you have all sorts of nasty problems if you don't.

Comment

DEFINATLY remove the rear drive shaft,unlock the hubs, and I guess the steering (never thought of that Penguin, good call).

ragg

Comment

Crap
          I was hoping that we could do it without all that. Guess I will leave it at home.
          Thanks for the input.

haha this guy is funny

Comment

Tow Bar and Shackles

Originally posted by Ratman
            just checking
            CJ5 3 spd, hubs
            no problom towing it with the drive line intact?
            Going to OR for vaca in Aug.
            Also tow bar shackles anyone gotem, used um?
            thanks
            Ratman,

I purchased the Warrior Product Tow Shackles and Tow bar and have had no issues. 500 miles of pulling my 74 CJ5 so far behind my Pathfinder up to speeds of 70 mph on smooth asphalt. The original Technical Service Manual even lists towing the vehicle as being fine as long as you unlock the front wheels and place both transfer case and transmission in neutral. Just check to see that the front drive shaft turns freely. My manual steering turns just fine with each turn. Only issues arise on bumps. Since the shackle is being pulled by the hitch, the front suspension becomes quite stiff and will be rough at times depending on the surface. Just have to slow down a bit more in the rough spots.

http://www.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforums/...hlight=tow+bar

Comment

Right on

Thanks everyone
              I do have poewr steering so I think I will pass this time.
              I am going to get the shackels and bar but am going to try something closer to home first.
              Thanks Again

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by Penguin
                Yep I have them. I love them. Towed my jeep around when I was working on it. Went like a charm. Don't forget to disconnect the power steering or the steering arm to pitman if you have power steering. I found you have all sorts of nasty problems if you don't.
                Never 'opened' the power steering system when I towed mine, may explain why it was hard to handleand all over the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvatus
                  Never 'opened' the power steering system when I towed mine, may explain why it was hard to handleand all over the road.
                  Yep, that could be. Did you find that the jeep wanted to tell you where to go?

Comment

what tcase do you have in the CJ5? that is the most important part. some cases, like the D300, can get oil starved if flat towed. you either have to install paddles on the shaft to sling the oil or disconnect the drive shaft.

Comment

As Fubar said...the t-150 is the same as far as oil starvation.

ragg

Comment

Thats what I wonered.
                        I am not sure which Tcase it has I haven't done much more then the engine on it so far. Everything else is in pretty good shape so haven't had a reason {yet}. It had a bumper towbar when I bought it. I have towed it around town a little. The old bumper and bar went to dumpster land a long time ago.
                        I will definitly check out the Tcase don't need to make probloms.
                        Thanks Again

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin
                          Yep, that could be. Did you find that the jeep wanted to tell you where to go?
                          Yepper, pulled--sliding tires pulled-- the rear of the powerwagon when I turned.

Comment

Various.

I towed one with a 300 for some 200 miles. "?"
                            And a 150, or so I think, for 200.
                            Anyone know what Commandos were equipped with in 72?
                            Last edited by Sylvatus; 08-05-2005, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I know that most recommendations are to leave the rear driveshaft w/the transfer case in neutral. If you've done any posi mods to your rear, I would disconnect the driveshaft. I've towed my D60 w/detroit locker with & without the driveshaft - each trip was approx. 800 miles. W/o is much better.

The one trip was with a U-haul dolley, so I had to grind out the centres of 2 stock Ford rims to fit in the small wheel wells on the dolley. Between NJ & SE KY, that locker & the 33's in back tore the dolley apart. I had to stop & check it often, even had to rig a comealong to limit the dolley articulation.

It only takes 15 minutes & some duct tape to be safer than sorry.

Flat towing is better, but make sure that everything is level to a gnat's a** or you could put excessive pressure in the jeep front end, affecting your inner hubs, wheel bearings, etc.

gj
                              Last edited by gonzojohn; 08-06-2005, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X