X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild Time?

I have a 79' CJ-5 with a 3 speed transmission. I think it is the T150. When I let off the throttle under any kind of a load in first gear only, it always pops out of gear. Is it the 1st gear synchronizer? And if so, how hard is it to repair?

Thanks

I have a 78 CJ-5 with a T-150, I had a similar problem, only for me it was 3rd that kept popping out and yes it was the syncro. It was not that difficult to replace but I had to buy the actual jeep service manual to explain it with enough detail for me to understand. I replaced the third gear syncro ring twice and the actual gear once then I swapped out the 150 for a T-18.

Jay

Comment

My 78 cj7 had the same problem with 2nd gear. The synchro was the answer. Working on the T-150 just requires patience and a large, clean workbench. The nice thing about this tranny is it only goes together one way correctly, ha ha. An exploded view diagram is all you'll need to re-assemble it. Have fun!

Comment

I think the majority of people that have had that transmission for any length of time will have the same story. I have replaced the T150 once already because of that problem (I think mine was the 3rd gear synch ring). But the last time I replaced the whole tranny with an SM 465. I rebuilt it and it was actually quite easy, just be careful and take notice of the orientation and order as you take parts off.

Comment

it both the gear it self and the syno brass blocking ring and could also be the slider to lock it in gear

Comment

first gear is probly not synchronized, at least its not in alot of old 3 speed boxes

Comment

Working...
            X