X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikini Top question

Does anyone make a traditional bikini top for pre-1980 CJ7's? I have tried to fit one on my 78 but it was too short. Is it that I can't find a top that works, or is my roll bar too far back?

Someone before me installed the full sport bars and I am not sure if they moved the main loop back. I think I attached a picture to see what I am talking about.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

To far back I think because the bar on my 84 is up by the door opening. You could have one made to fit by whoever makes boat covers in your area. Here's a look at the stock roll bar on a '84 if you compare the top bar position yours is almost centered with the wheel mine is straight up from the front of the tire. I measured from the front of the windshield to the center of the bar is 39" DP

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/IM000166.jpg
    Last edited by DPete; 07-31-2005, 10:10 PM.

Comment

seen em advertised

seem them advertised at a couple internet sites and this one on ebay
      no clue if they fit or not. i'd like one myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/76-86...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

If I remember correctly your rear bar sits on top of the wheel wells and has a plate that ties the upright and angle bar together. It doesn't go to the floor/frame behind the seats like later models. It's factory. Jeep changed it later for strength. Anywho... I think you're outa luck as far as finding one off the shelf like DPete said. Anybody that makes covers or even better boat sails should be able to make you one.

Good luck!

Comment

good info

Thanks for all the good info!

Tower,

This is exactly the set up I have. I knew that the older CJ's did not have the bar running down to the floor, but what I didn't know is if how far back it sits was factory. I just measured from the bottom and front of the windshield to the middle of the bar was 53 1/2". I checked into a custom interior guy here in town and it was high $$, at least compared to an off the shelf one.

Thanks again for all the posts.

JeepN

Comment

a stock type A bar sits on the wheel well the type B sits on the floor behind the seats

my 78 with a type A bar

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/IMG_0651.jpg

Comment

reply to quote
              Originally posted by jeepn
              Thanks for all the good info!

. I checked into a custom interior guy here in town and it was high $$, at least compared to an off the shelf one.

JeepN
              If it's way to much to have one made you could buy 2 , cut the back off of one and add the right amount from the other, have somebody sew it up. DP
              Last edited by DPete; 08-01-2005, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DPete
                reply to quote
                If it's way to much to have one made you could buy 2 , cut the back off of one and add the right amount from the othe other, have somebody sew it up. DP
                Good idea!

You can do alot with a straight edge, a canvas needle & 8# monofilament.
                Fold each stitched edge over the other for added strength at the seam.

gj

Comment

Originally posted by gonzojohn
                  Good idea!

You can do alot with a straight edge, a canvas needle & 8# monofilament.
                  Fold each stitched edge over the other for added strength at the seam.

gj
                  I wouldn't use monofilament, good chance it will cut the top. I would use wax thread for sewing sails.
                  Using something like THIS

Comment

Damn fuzz, I'd never seen your jeep. Dont be offended but i think I actually got wood over it. Please refrain from posting too many other pics, next i'll need some lotion and a tissue....... Is that wrong?????

Comment

No, it isn't wrong...

Originally posted by Tom74'CJ-5
                      Damn fuzz, I'd never seen your jeep. Dont be offended but i think I actually got wood over it. Please refrain from posting too many other pics, next i'll need some lotion and a tissue....... Is that wrong?????
                      I have the same problem when he posts pics of the motor.

Hey, Jeepn... I sent you a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin
                        I wouldn't use monofilament, good chance it will cut the top. I would use wax thread for sewing sails.
                        Using something like THIS
                        Actually, fox tail sinew works even better, but it's too rare to use on naugahyde.

gj

Comment

Working...
                        X