X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaner.

Distance between bolt holes on the spring shackles--from the frame mount to the spring...what is the farthest you could recommend before they start to lean sideways? Granted a crossmember can be welded between the two plates, but still, I think there may be a limit.
    | |
    |-|
    | |

I have homemade 1/4" plate shackles with a piece of C-channel welded at midway for bracing. The bolt to bolt centre is approx. 4 3/4" & I get a slight cant that can be fixed with a sledge hammer.
    That's my max.

gj
    Last edited by gonzojohn; 08-05-2005, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzojohn
      I have homemade 1/4" plate shackles with a piece of C-channel welded at midway for bracing. The bolt to bolt centre is approx. 4 3/4" & I get a slight cant that can be fixed with a sledge hammer.
      That's my max.

gj
      Thanks gonzojohn, I was thinking 5" at most, too. I have some 0.5" x 2" flat bar I'll use, thick yes, but I have it. Thought the thickness against the bolts would prevent some twisting, too.
      Did you use the original bolts? Mine became 'thinner' with rust over time.
      Thought of grade 5, 7/16" or what ever matches new bushings.
      Still haven't thought of a way to keep from squishing the bushings--the originals had shoulder stops on them.

Comment

1/2" is pretty thick for shackles. I don't recall your year Jeep or it's history of abuse, but the first places that the frame will crack are 1. over the front spring mount. 2. along the front shackle mount. The '78's through 81's seem to be the worst, but I cracked my frame at both front right spring mounts with a winch pull 3 years ago. I had completely wirewheeled the frame & coated it in '83. If your Jeep is older, you may at least want to build up the welds along the shackle hangers.

I used new Grade 8 shoulder bolts w/flat washers on each side & nylocks.

I don't understand the "shoulder stops".

Are you going w/poly or standard rubber/steel bushings?

I hacksawed a line through my old bushing shells, folded them in, & removed them.

Try putting your poly bushings in near boiling water for a minute or 2, then quickly wiping dry, coating lightly w/glycerine or vaseline & inserting them.
        You can then powerwash the lube off if you want.

The standard rubber/steel bushings should press right in w/a large C-clamp.

gj
        Last edited by gonzojohn; 08-07-2005, 01:42 AM.

Comment

half

Oh I'm just using half inch because I have it, rather than buying thinner material.
          Shoulder stops, I mean the stud/bolt has no more thread at a certain point, and becomes a sixteenth larger or so, thicker at that point.
          I'm not aware of the abuse of my 78 either--all I know is that it has salt damage.
          Pretty much I am meticulous on reinforcing and high grade steel usage.
          I'm going with std bushings for the moment.
          Thinking of what you told me earlier, I believe I'll be fine on the adjustments I'm making, for the mild playing I'll be doing.
          Thank you.
          Hey, I've got 5 and 1/4" ctr to ctr on the shackles, no budge whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
          X