Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin'

Anyone ever had problems with the shoes not backing off the drum--
    in relation to grooves being worn in the b/plate?
    You smell 'em and the drums sizzle.
    My guess is the groove is from old shoes, so when the new shoes were installed, they want back off--the metal of the shoe just 'seats' in the wear spot.
    Of course, adjustment is harder and imperfect.
    May have the adjustment wrong because of the wear, either way, bad.
    New b/plate or some filler welding and grinder?
    Last edited by Sylvatus; 08-15-2005, 05:42 PM.

take a grinder and very lightly grind off the marks on the backing plate then put a very light coat of break grease on the tabs to help them move

Comment

Grease

Thanks, but I tried it a few weeks earlier.
      Then, took the grinder to it again.
      No help.
      Deeper groove.
      B/plate getting thinner and thinner in those spots where the shoe rests on it.

Anyway, 'til I get the problem resolved, does it hurt, other than more stopping distance, to disconnect the rear line from the p valve and plugging it 'til I resolve such problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvatus
        Anyway, 'til I get the problem resolved, does it hurt, other than more stopping distance, to disconnect the rear line from the p valve and plugging it 'til I resolve such problem?
        i dont think so...mine was plugged on the jeep and my old truck one time or another. but get it fixed, specially if you drive in snow.

Comment

i also had a vehicle that had an obstruction in the brake line at the dside rear wheel cylinder. that wheel would pull the whole truck off the road, get hot, ruin the drum, whatever. take the bleeder valve all the way out to flush the lines. then try it. only costs a couple bucks for fluid if it's wrong. you may also have a kink in a brake line.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
            i also had a vehicle that had an obstruction in the brake line at the dside rear wheel cylinder. that wheel would pull the whole truck off the road, get hot, ruin the drum, whatever. take the bleeder valve all the way out to flush the lines. then try it. only costs a couple bucks for fluid if it's wrong. you may also have a kink in a brake line.
            May try it real quick. I am doubtful of it though, the whole brake system is new exc the provalve, which would affect both rears--or so I believe.

Comment

broke brakes

hey could it be that the drum is wore at a angle and this is causing the shoes to ride tward the inside? this could be checked by anyone who can turn drums. Or are all your return springs installed correctly.you said every thing is new so could it be that when putting that side back together a spring was put on wrong. compair both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by scott
                hey could it be that the drum is wore at a angle and this is causing the shoes to ride tward the inside? this could be checked by anyone who can turn drums. Or are all your return springs installed correctly.you said every thing is new so could it be that when putting that side back together a spring was put on wrong. compair both sides.
                I would check this out if you know your install of the brakes was right.
                It doesn't make sence why your brake shoes would run into the back plate.

Comment

Originally posted by scott
                  Today, I did two things...replace the spring hardware kit on it and filled the grooves with weld.
                  No more burning.
                  I'll never know if it was the drum, springs, installation, or what.
                  Ay, it works.

Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                  X