X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj roll bar in a cj??

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to put a newer tj style rollbar into a cj-7? I am building one from the ground up and like the look of the rollbar with the windsheild risers and the way the bars head into the rear, was wondering if anyone has tried to swap them and if it required much fabbing to get it done?

I once looked at some off those bars for my cj. Got a few measurements of a few at the junkyard...and I did not want it if it would not be easy. Needless to say, I have a cj style bar now.

However, who said building a jeep was easy?

Comment

I was thinking about exchanging my old style CJ bar (pre 80) but did not found a TJ style one over here (you won't find any at the junk yard) and ended up with a CJ bar from a 82 model.... still thinking

Comment

The later year YJ was close to the TJ one, and that fits.

Comment

The carb seems to run fine right now, except it's too rich when I punch it (black smoke out the pipe).
          Yup, 92 - 95 YJ bars are very similar to a TJ and are almost a direct bolt in. I believe there are 1 or 2 holes on each side that don't quite line up but don't quote me on that....I took the easy way out and swapped the hole tub instead of trying to get those pesky torx bolts out without breaking them If you do go with a YJ bar you might want to get the windshield frame off a YJ as well and save yourself the headaches of trying to find a way to bolt the front spreader bars to the CJ windshield frame.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepwhore
            Yup, 92 - 95 YJ bars are very similar to a TJ and are almost a direct bolt in. I believe there are 1 or 2 holes on each side that don't quite line up but don't quote me on that....I took the easy way out and swapped the hole tub instead of trying to get those pesky torx bolts out without breaking them If you do go with a YJ bar you might want to get the windshield frame off a YJ as well and save yourself the headaches of trying to find a way to bolt the front spreader bars to the CJ windshield frame.
            I agree except about the front bars. There don't offer any real support, so you would be better off adding a front cage. That's what I am doing. Put a 92 YJ bar in my 78. Had to drill holls, but not a problem.

You need to find a bar from a 92-95.

http://www.hisservantpro.com/picts/rollbar-01.jpg

Comment

maybe it's the yellow shirt but you look awfully young to be driving.

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                maybe it's the yellow shirt but you look awfully young to be driving.
                Why thank you. I age well!

That's son number 2. Blake and he's 8. Got his favorite shirt on. From the Superlift Park at Hot Springs. Went on a weekend run for Memorial Day. Heading back up there for Labor Day weekend.

and if I would let, yes he would drive!

Comment

nice to see some love

thanks for all the info guys, scratching my head over it a bit still, if i find an easy solution i will post it of course... thanks again

Comment

If you want it, make it work.
                    Of course, it's a roll bar, make it safe.

Comment

roll bar

Go to www.sierrajeep.com and check out the full rollbar in the jeep projects section. Nice site.

Comment

Working...
                      X