X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach wiring

My question is, of the 4 wires that come off of the factory tach ('85 CJ7 I6 258 auto)- 1 ground, 1 to the coil neg., 1 for the backlighting, what does the 4th go to?? It has a heavy 12 ga. red wire that was spliced into the ignition primary. I have no idea how I managed to do that. I found that some of my major headache with starting had to do with that 4th wire. I disconnected that wire and now she starts fine. The only diagram I can find is for a 4-cyl. CJ. Any ideas?

Dude, you failed to mention you had factory tach when you were having problems. Yes that is a problem. The tach interrupted the main power to the coil. Do a search on here, there was a big write-up on factory tachs.

Comment

Tach wiring in series

I checked out BeastieBrad's post and, from that and the diagram it looks like the factory tach is in Series with the ignition power. I disconnected that wire from the ignition loop and it runs. I'm wondering if I can tie into an accessory 12-volt power source in Parallel and get it to run the tach. Best to leave the ignition circut alone. Anyone know how to make a parallel connection?

Comment

Tach wiring in series

Just ignore this post. I posted the same one twice.
        Last edited by ITSABURNER; 08-17-2005, 11:48 AM. Reason: duplication

Comment

Teh factory tach is not worth trying to get to work. Buty the one from 4wd with the part for your MSD ingnition to run it. Much easier way to go with many less headaches.

Comment

Working...
          X