X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought me a cj...i think...

i recently purchased a 63 jeep cj. i believe its a cj5 but i'm not quite sure. it was $1000 and my parents paid half cause its my b-day this sunday (ill be 17).

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...jeep32/cj6.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...yjeep32/cj.jpg

inline 4, 3-spd, 4wd, studded tires, and a lovely snow plow.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...jeep32/cj5.jpg

so where can i find out what drive train i have and all that good stuff? is ther a haynes book out there for this jeep? im sure thers a chiltons. any online manuals? im kinda clueless as to what i have other than another cool jeep. it has new rad, carb, piston, oil pump, hubs, and hydraulics for the plow.

who makes lift kits? i've got a set of new 31"s on aluminum wrangler wheels sitting around. what will it take for those to fit? right now it has 205's. what does that convert to in inches?

shes got some rust to her. where should i look at for problem spots? what should i look at in general? thers no brakes also, but i think i know whats up with that.

thanks a ton guys (an gals).

o ya...how do ya think it would look with an orange paint job, rebel flag on the roof, 66 on the side (my football number) and general josh painted above the door?

Smokin deal, Hardly any rust on her. Lucky

Comment

nice looking little rig and seems to be in pretty good shape for the age. seems like a good deal to me! have fun with it!
      I think a orange paint job would look great, I just couldn't decide if just plain orange or pearl...

Comment

Thats is a CJ-5, F- head engine. I think Rancho makes a lift kit for it. 2" should get your 31s under there no problem. Orange will be cool, I'd ax the rebel flag and numbers though... its not a charger, and Josh, dude, spare it of neons.

Comment

You have to get new wheels. The bolt pattern for wranglers are different than CJ's.
          There are a ton of FSM's on ebay for those years. They are a general manual, covers 51-70 I think, I have one, good book to have.
          Did the PO change out the wipers from vacuum to motor?
          The tranny and transfer case on those got quite low. Do you have the power take-off on it?

Comment

dude that is steal. someone around here has a 61 cj5 for sale, and the frame is pretty rusty, the floor of the tub is made out of treated plywood, and there is a 4x4 post used as a crossmember. the owner is asking 2400 for it. it has been there for about 2 yrs now.
            best thing to do with yours is to go through it with a fine tooth comb. fix all the little problems right away. then mod it! cool jeep!

Comment

Nice get!!!
              as for the brakes if you keep the plow who needs them. j/k

Comment

Nice, I like it. I'm with adamcj-5 though, NO NEON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAGG

Comment

o it has rust...and yes, il spare it of neons...

PO says its a cj3b but im pretty sure its a cj5 by the wipers bein on top and the fenders and hood. ill check into it more when i get a chance. wipers are still vacume operated.

where would the PTO be located?

also, the thought occured to me that a flat OD paint job with a star and general josh painted on the sides would look cooler then the general lee get-up.

Comment

i bought one just like it about 2 months ago for $1500 and its in really good shape considering!!!I'm pretty sure it is definately a cj-5and it looks like its a keeper to me and i'm with a couple others about the colour but kick the star and numbers!! just my $.02

Comment

Congratulations, you're a father of a CJ5. What does it matter what color it is, it's YOUR baby.

Comment

ya, i know, im really excited to own a cj5. ive been thinking and i've decided i dont have the time or money to do a total restoration but i want to make the body mechanically safe and take care of the jeep till im older and i can do a complete restoration and buy a new fiberglass body and all that good stuff. right now thers a big rusted out canyon in the back floor i'm going to patch with a big road sign (thanks PA DOT/DMV!) and the front drivers side fender is seperating in half so that will need a beter patch then the angle on ther now. the body is also leaning to one side and ther is a piece of wood jammed between the body and frame on that side. should i replace the body mounts and metal that the mounts bolt to? this jeep needs some serious wiring work too. turn signals dont work at all and thers wires hanging down everywhere. time to work! im excited!

Comment

Fenders- any pre 1972 fender will work. If you cannot find one then you can take a later year fender and cut it down. We had to do it for the one I built for my dad.
                          I would use the body mounting from 4wd for a temporary fix. Change over the wipers to the electric, you will hate it if you get in the rain.

Comment

is my jeep 12 volt?

does the 4wd spare tire carrier (http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetai...2009&info=desc) just bolt onto the jeep wherever i want it (rear passenger side most likely)?

Comment

Count the caps on the battery (filling holes). 3 holes = 6 volt, 6 holes = 12 volt.

Comment

Working...
                              X