X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension options: bucking Jeep:

Ok, yes, I know; it is a Jeep thing. The ride sucks. But, does it have to jar your kidneys out of your ear canals on pavement?

I am looking at lifts, I am thinking a 2.5" and 31's. I know the tires will help, I am running LT235's on 6" wide rims right now. 31's on 8" wheels should absorb more.

Skyjacker sells a "Softride" lift (or used to). I hear a lot of praise for Black Diamond in here. (Yeah, I'd love the coil conversion kit, but not in the budget!)

Suggestions?

For now, I am dropping about 300 lbs of traction sand bags in the back.
    (yeah, bouncy like that!)

i have that setup

i have the skyjacker softride 2.5 inch lift and i have 31x10.50 at's plus a shackle reversal and all new poly bushings and a speed bump will still send you over the windsheild. the only thing that really improved and that was ALOT was the handling and bump steer i beleive all due to the shackle reversal.

Comment

I am considering the shackle reversal too. I'll take a good look at it when I do the lift. Probably next year or so. (good ol' budget is strained just to pay it off this year!)

Comment

I would have to think any upgrade would solve it--'you're worn out.'
        4WD Hardware.
        Suspension sections.

Comment

Update! No more going airborne in the seat!

New front shackle bushings did nothing, I tossed in a steering stab. to offset the dartiness (works great!). I am getting rear shackle bushings too as those are shot as well.

I finally did settle the beastie down tho...

160 lbs of traction sand bags stacked in the footwell behind the front seats did the trick! It rides MUCH better now!

My bushings and stabilizer did a LOT to settle the dartiness too...not so much the bushings as the ss. Rides like a different critter now!

Comment

I had a pickup truck like that once, it took about 300 pounds behind the seats just to not end up with seat belt bruises.
            I had given up on fixing the ride, and just got 4 point harness's so I could at least stay within a few inches of the seat at highway speeds....

My 7 is stock, but I need to redo the bushings and stuff anyway, how hard it it, never done bushings on anything but a couple of MGB's

Comment

Just put add-a-leafs and spring and shackle bushings in a stock 81. Took about 30 minutes /wheel. Only hold-up was removing the OE spring bushings. (If it won't fit, get a bigger hammer). Not hard.

Comment

If you're looking for ride comfort and trail performance then spend the money and get OME YJ 2.5" lift spring...if you don't want to spend the cash then take the time and have some patience and find a set of used...They are worth every red cent you'll have to shell out. Trust me on this...put these together with a SRS and you won't believe that it's the same CJ.

Comment

black diamond makes a 4 link conversion for the cj that eliminate the leaf springs totally...its expensive but i bet the ride is good

Comment

I have wondered about YJ spring swap. I need shakles and springs for this, right? Do I need anything else to do it right? (perches, shock mounts etc...?)

Oh yeah, I have seen that Black Diamond kit! Oh bloody heck YEAH! But...not in the budget...
                    maybe if I hit the lotto...

80amccj7: Yeah, I took an intersection with this thing at 25 mph, topless, and about fell OUT! WITH the seatbelt on! ~LOL~ I also have two seatbelt clips (like you use for kids' car seats) to keep my belt adjusted right...otherwise it cinches me down to a pulp!

Comment

Yeah, I have been considering selling both the CJ and the WJ and getting a TJ. Better ride, fewer problems. wont have to store one for winter.
                      I fell out of my CJ once, ended up going in circles in a parking lot, hanging from the seatbelt with my head almost banging the ground, foot got caught on the steering wheel (thank god).

I have a friend who put TJ suspension on his CJ, not sure how, I will ask him.

Comment

why not keep the cj and invest in a 5point harness? or better yet how bout some doors?

Comment

gryphon

have you conciderd Rubicon express 2.5 for the cj? there kit converts it to yj leaf springs with out welding on new hangers. the ride is very good (concidering) and the price isn't too steep.

Comment

Originally posted by SD Boy
                            gryphon

have you conciderd Rubicon express 2.5 for the cj? there kit converts it to yj leaf springs with out welding on new hangers. the ride is very good (concidering) and the price isn't too steep.

I have been considering that too. Seems the easiest/safest/most sanitary. (I hate cobbling things!)

Comment

If you do decide to run with a SRS set up 99% of the kits on the market will allow you to run with the YJ spring out of the box.

I'd have to agree with the other guys out there...if you're not going to spend the cash on OME then deffinitely spend the cash on the Rubicon Express kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X