X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end u joint ?

when i put my 1980 cj5 into reverse and start to move i hear a clang in the rear end, how can i tell if it is the u joint or something in the rear end? stock amc 20 in it. thanks

Put the tranny in neutral and trun the driveshaft. You should see the movement if it is a U-joint.

Comment

Or the backlash is out, if the u/j does not move, and the tranny end is fine.
      Right fellows?

Comment

what is backlash? i turned the drive shaft and it's not the u joint. could it be the pinion bearing?

Comment

I may be wrong, though, it seems the pinion bearing would only cause wobbling.

Backlash is no more than ring and pinion gear adjustment, I believe. Maybe not your problem.

I'm thinking your ring and pinion gear have enough wear in them to give you the "clunk."

If the driveshaft turns 10-20 degrees or so in the differential, the 'ol D20 is going away. I had a few go away. You could replace the gears or adjust the backlash (with shems, although it just prolongs the inevitable).

Comment

thanks for the info guys, i been wanting to put dana 44's under it anyway so now is the time i guess. i heard that the axles from a 1972-1975 and some 1986 models would bolt up to my 1980 cj5 with no problem, i need some advice on this.

Comment

The 86 will bolt in but the 72-75 will require the perches to be moved outward a little bit.

Comment

I thought an 1980 CJ-5 had the narrow trac axles?
                If you do, then you need a rear axle from any thing before 1981.

Comment

Working...
                X