X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny shifter help

There was a thread on here (I think it was before the crash)... anyway I searcehd and could not find it so here it goes again.

Someone else had this same problem and a few others talked about a fix. Basically my shifter on my T-176 seems to pop "out of joint" mostly when shifting into reverse. You can then just move the sifter in all kinds of directions and nothing happens and the tranny stays stuck in gear. I have gotten pretty good at keeping it from happening and can fix it fairly quickly if it does happen. But I was thinking about trying to fix it.

Two questions:
    1) will this "kit" fix the problem
    Click Me Please

2) is this difficult to install? any special tools required? should I able to do it by just taking off the cover plate in the jeep floor?

Thanks.

shift prob

First off...popping out of reverse could be two things...
    not going into gear completely due to a sloppy shifter with worn out parts.
    Popping out of gears could also and is usually worn synchro's, but I believe reverse does not use them on most tranny's.
    The parts you listed show new synchros and bearings and other busings. All of these will require removal of the transmission and tear-down. You should be able to remove the shift tower while the trans is in the rig...manually place the sliders into a gear (one at a time....do not put two in at the same time.) and observing any popping out of gear or other sloppyness. Good Luck.

Comment

You can take off the top plate of the tranny through the floor and see if the shift forks are worn. had that same problem with mine a few years ago and replacing the shift forks fixed it. It's real easy to do probably take you less than an hour but I could come by one weekend and lend a hand if you need it.

Comment

I don't think this is a shift fork problem... the problem seems to be more on the top end and several other people reported similar problems before the forum hack.

Any of those people still out there? Anybody know if this "repair kit" is what they were installing and if it helps. This kit only includes the stuff you can change without taking off the top of the tranny cover (I think).

It's just the shifter (the long stick coming through the floor) that seems to "pop out of joint"

Comment

kit

the kit you put a link to does not have anything for the shifter, it has bushing bearings and gaskets for the gears and case. The numbers with boxes or circles around them are what you will be buying. None of these are for the shifter assy except the gasket.
          Last edited by JeepManEd; 08-25-2005, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X