Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC 20 rear axle - 3 drum screws??? Do I REALLY need them?

When you take the wheel off the the hub there are 3 screws that hold the drum onto the hub. They're a pain in the can to get off. Some guy today said you don't really actually need them. I'm not sure because I can't get the drum off w/out ruining the screws. I don't know for sure if I can replace them. Does anyone know for sure if I really need them? I can't get them off without drilling. I don't have an impact driver or access to one. If I don't need these 3 screws, great!!? Maybe I can just put something in the holes to to keep dirt out. OK thanks for any help! If I do need these screw do you know how to get some new ones? These are old and rusty not to mention hashed out!

when i had the 20 in mine i scraped the screws

The Sky never fell down and i never missed them.

Comment

Think AMC made them for a convienence so the drum wouldn't fall when you replaced tires--not too much trouble to throw it back on.
      If you keep them, over the years you will find the three holes to magically misalign with new brake drums--and they will always be difficult to remove.

I say put them in your bolt bin, as if they will ever be good for anything.

If you haven't removed them yet, tap them straight on with a hammer and work 'em, maybe some PB Blaster to accompany. If it doesn't work, like you say, drill 'em. By the time the bit grabs into the heads and chews them a little--the drum is loose. Then you may have a little stud left so that you can turn them out wise visegrips or grind them flat is you want to keep debris out.

Comment

I chuck them in the trash!

Comment

i've been running about 20k miles since i trashed mine and things are normal in the brake dept

Comment

they are not needed to hold the drum on

Comment

nope

I say no

Comment

screw them

if the wheel falls off, the screws aren't going to keep you from getting screwed anyway

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                  screw them

if the wheel falls off, the screws aren't going to keep you from getting screwed anyway

Comment

Working...
                  X