X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers: Fenderwell vs. In-frame

It's time to pick out the headers for my CJ7/304. I'm leaning torwards a coated fenderwell with possibly a SuperTrapp muffler. I've done alot of searching and haven't found many pics showing a detailed fenderwell installation. I'm curious as to the header location in relation to the fender braces, battery tray and fluid resevoirs.

Anybody have any comments?

I like the in-frame because it keeps the exhaust up and out of the way. Although the fenderwell headers sound nice with 4" sidepipes.

Comment

with fenderwell headers you will have to trim the fenders at the bottom and back at the cab. I have a 1" body lift and still had to trim them. I have no interference with any other braces however, and they sound MEAN.

Comment

It's the inner fenders that need trimming. All other components are un-affected. You will lose a bit of fenderwell clearance, though.

Comment

i have had both

i had fenderwell and inframe. the fenderwell's i had to remove the fender braces and trim the fenders. i loved the sound too. my neighborhood did not love me (it sounded like a NASCAR). i hit a speed bump once alittle to hard and put a dent in my tubes. I ended up replacing them because everytime i would reach in the back of the jeep i would have a nice little carbon ring on my pants from the exaust tip. i got inframe now and i could only run 2 1/2 inch pipe and i did a turn down. but i ran into some clearence problems with the clutch linkage on the drivers side and my shackle reversal kit on the other side ( bolt in the shackle) other than that i think it looks better with the headers tucked up against the block. just my opinion though!!! get one of each. jk

Comment

Pros&Cons on STUFF...

Yellajacket,

Both header applications have their advantages. It's what you DO with your jeep in this instance that should dictate your choice. Fenderwell headers ain't got no place at all in serious rocks. However, the 'sound' a 304 is capable of with fenderwells (and a cam... grin) is long established and highly respected. (At least it is where I grew up.) You gotta choose according to your Jeep use and where it will spend the majority of its time, street or trail. Fenderwell... street. In frame... trail. Of course, there are exceptions and I'm sure they'll speak up. Either way, you got a nice looking Jeep.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I live in South Alabama, so there's not much in the way of rocks here.... just plently of mud. :-) I was kind of worried about problems with clutch linkage interference with the in-frames. With fenderwells I won't have to make a trip to exhaust shop. In Alabama we don't have smog inspections so no cat converters are needed. If I went with fenderwells, I was planning on using insulative wrap and maybe a heat shield to cut down on floorboard heat, or is that not much of a problem?

Does anyone have a pic of their fenderwell installation?

Comment

Fenderwells sound cool and are a cheap alternative, however I did recently watch my buddy's CJ5 stuff a hunk of wood into his fenderwell header which pushed the header into the clutch linkage, partially disengaging the clutch, but what are the odds of that happening again.

Comment

hot

when i had the sidepipes if you dropped change on the floor you better leave it there or you will get the coin imprint in your fingers. it would get real hot. i was thinking about putting some dynamat down to cut down on heat and noise. plus some carpet with some good padding.

Comment

I am leaning towards edelbrock's new headers myself. I already have my exhaust ($400 custom deal) run over the skidplate and exiting behind the rear wheels. Dual 4 series flowmasters, d@mn does it sound mean too!!! The edelbrock cam helps that I reckon! IMO I would not do the fenderwells. If you want to be real noisy when burning up the ricers around town, install a set of cutouts, where the ricer can't see them. Then said ricer will remember AMC power!!!

Comment

fenderwheel

i had a set of fenderwheels on my cj5 with the 360, cam and intake, i ran 3inch 40 series flow masters, sounded very mean, but was very very loud, would set off car alarms at idle, when the 360 goes into the wrangler, im going to do the in frame route, was just TOOO loud

Comment

One more thing to think about. If you use the fenderwell headers, you might have a problem mounting nerf bars. I had to fabricate a bracket to mount mine to go under my fenderwell mufflers and back up to the frame.

Comment

Here is a picture of my fenderwells w/ supertraps that were on the Jeep when I bought it. With a 1-3" body lift I do not see any reason for cutting on the fenders or fender brackets.

http://webpages.charter.net/xlr8n/pi...p/img_0006.jpg

Let me know if you want detailed pictures per side.

--
                          Last edited by xlr8n; 08-29-2005, 05:03 PM. Reason: no pic

Comment

another pic.

Originally posted by xlr8n
                            I do not see any reason for cutting on the fenders or fender brackets.

--
                            notice how tight my sidepipes tuck up under the rockers you can hardly see them. i had to cut off about 3 inches from the back of my fenders and the support bracket had to be completly removed.
                            Last edited by gheepn77; 02-01-2007, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I just installed a set of SuperTrapps also on my fenderwells before going to Silver Lake to play on the dunes (SuperTrapps have approved spark arrestors). With only 3 discs in them, they are super quiet. I went up to 12 discs and it started sounding pretty healthy again. Before that, I ran a set of Flow Tech Purple Hornies (For Sale now by the way ). They were loud going down the road, but sounded pretty good. All depends on what you want! I did have to trim the inner fender a little with the Heddman headers I am using.

Comment

Working...
                              X