X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 quick q's

Hey everyone, first question....what is involved in swapping spiders and such into a new carrier? Do they have as strict setup tolerances as a r&p install?

also, someone was throwing out a damn near new bestop supertop today. all the bracketry and everything. so i took it. I believe it is a tj top, but would i be able to "engineer" it to fit on my 7? i also need to get doors for it, but would also have to get something to work for the doors as i dont have a striker with my early model latch setup. Any ideas????

I'm really tight on money, for that matter, all the jeep owners I know are.

If I came upon a new top as that, I would become an engineer with a quickness.

I believe there is always a way to rig something.

Sorry though, I don't know how to do it right, or even at all.

Luck to you my friend.

Comment

if there are shims or washers behind the spider gears, just put them back. it's been so long i don't remember, but i know there was no lash settings done.

Comment

diff gear replacement..

Hey NutZach-

If it is an open differential, just pull the cross pin, remove the old gears, throw the new side gears up in there (with their backing thrust washers), then roll the smaller pinion mate gears in place (again with their thrust washers and making sure that the bore in the center of each gear is 180 degrees across from each other so that the cross pin will re-install). You shouldn't even have to pull the shafts, but it'd help if the wheels where off the ground.

However, if it is a Trac-Lok limited slip unit with preload on the gears (AKA it still "works") You may have to pull the entire differential out and do the gear swap on the bench... Meanwhile fabricating a few tools to compress the clutch plates while you turn the unit to roll the gears out. This would be a good time to install new plates if you need them, too...

The 'Doc

Comment

thanks guys for your help....appreciate it...its on an open diff. btw.

Comment

find out what the top fits, sell on ebay, take money and buy a cj 7 top

Comment

carrier

You will have to pull axle shafts to remove carrier.

It would be pretty tough to remove cold roll pin(holds cross shaft in place) with carrier still inside housing.As a matter of fact, don't see how it could be done.

Comment

Originally posted by cj71981
                You will have to pull axle shafts to remove carrier.

It would be pretty tough to remove cold roll pin(holds cross shaft in place) with carrier still inside housing.As a matter of fact, don't see how it could be done.

Oops! Good call... I was thinking that the AMC 20 rear axle diff had a threaded pin (wrench removed rather than driven out) rather than the roll pin. The threaded ones are for C-clip applications like the later YJ/TJ Jeep Dana 35 model rear. My bad.. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper
                  find out what the top fits, sell on ebay, take money and buy a cj 7 top

Comment

Working...
                  X