X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front axle done!!! broke a brake line

I ended up having my buddy bore the hole bigger in the innner axle to fit the bigger u joint. Looks like it will work pretty good. I put a bunch of weld beads to thicken the outer edge for more strengh on the yoke.

Now i have a rebuilt whole front axle. Gears were all good, but inner axle seals all new bearings and seals, almost every seal or bearing u can get went in new. Got it all put back together and the shop cleaned up.

I went down the road and tested the brakes since the calipers were off, and i really stomped on them which i have never done before, they were locking up on gravel, then the pass side brake line blew. SOB!! Guess i shouldnt have done that. The stainless steel lines rubbed agianst the tires before i noticed it the plastic brake line was showing. I drove it like this for 4 months or so but know that i stomped on the brake they blew at that same spot they were rubbing before.

Now i need two new front brake lines, no one in town has one since its lifted 4" Any way i think i will cover the new lines with some rubber hose that way if they rub on something i will notice before the lines are wrecked.

Anyone know where i can get just the front brake lines??

Jodean,

Probably a good thing you blew the line like you did. I'm pretty sure 4WD sells them for up to 4" of lift. And congrats on the axle job.
    Last edited by blackwater; 09-11-2005, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
      Probably a good thing you blew the line like you did. I'm pretty sure 4WD sells them for up to 4" of lift. And congrats on the axle job.
      I agree 100%.

Comment

4WD has the Goodridge and I love these. Get the whole set and put the spares on the shelf. Not a bad idea to have a spare set around when they cannot be bought at the local store when they break.

Comment

What i had or have is the goodrich, but i saw some similar ones and i think they are still goodrich with a rubber coating outside the stainless. Anyone know what those are??

Comment

Crown Industrial...

Jodean, Crown Industrial makes one that fits what you are describing. I'm not sure about the quality, though. I believe Russell makes one but I've read on here that Goodridge is superior in quality. You'll have to do some research.

Comment

Well my old brake lines were the goodrich.

The new ones i found at buybrakes.com

These are far superior. They have a brass end that bolts to the caliper then the lines screws onto the brass. They are stiff and strong. A little larger diameter than goodrich. And my brake pedal falling to the floor is now gone, but i suspect that to be the proper brake bleeding unlike before PO.

I think they were only $45 and i couldnt find anywhere that goodrich sold only the front. I kept my goodrich in the rear, its fine.

I am going to get all my brake lines for all cars at this place from now on.

Comment

Working...
              X