X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil SR-4's

I love my Anti-Christ (1980 Cj7 151) but i would love to kill it's SR-4 Trans. If i am lucky second gear will make it till spring, and thats only cause I use it when i have absolutly no choice. Its got a rebuilt GM 151 (Jasper) dunno how many miles/years? but it runs great. I want to put in a different trans, maybe even a newer tj six speed, but dont know if that is possible....
    anyone know of any good 5 or 6 spd swaps for that pos SR-4?????
    Thanks for the Help guys.

If you can find a good rebuilt one, a T-4 or a T-5 is a bolt by bolt swap if I remember right. The SR-4 is considered a light duty tranny. The T-4 and T-5 are considered medium duty trannies. I can’t remember if they use the same clutch disc, but they are the same length and will bolt to your bellhousing and Dana 300.

Comment

The T-4 and T-5 are actually designated as light duty tranny's as well. For a medium duty you could look at a T-176 or 177 although Idon't know the compatibility on the bolt up.

Comment

Since you have the Gm engine (standard chev bolt pattern) , you could get an SM465 out of an old chevy truck. With the Novak adapter it is the same length as the sr-4, low 6:1 grany gear and tougher than nails.

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
          Since you have the Gm engine (standard chev bolt pattern) , you could get an SM465 out of an old chevy truck. With the Novak adapter it is the same length as the sr-4, low 6:1 grany gear and tougher than nails.
          Good advice.

Comment

Try running an SR-4 with a mildly modified 307 Chevy SB. That's the boat I'm in until some more cash flow comes in...

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys,
              Not sure which route I will take yet. Busy trying to make it have three front seast so i can use a half cab. heat is good in chicago winters. thinking the 2wd ford tranny might work.....

Comment

Working...
              X