X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attaching hard top to wind shield?

on my 76 CJ5 the hard top slips over the front of the windshield. It came with 2 poorly fitting screws holding it on. The holes across the front of the wind shield are different sizes into the top of the frame. There are no threads to bolt into, just sheet metal. How does one attach the hard top. Is there a nut I can push in to the hole and it will expand? Nuts like that, that I have seen are flimsy plastic. The holes are about 9/32 " diam. I can't find a sheet metal screw that big (that doesn't look like a roofing screw).
    Thanks

I have welded up the holes and re-drill if they got to big. I think mine are either 1/8" or 3/16" sheetmetal screws that hold it on.

Comment

Thanks, Any non welding options? I'm not a great welder. Actually, probably really bad welder.

Comment

hard top

My Hard top had like 10 holes in the hard top, i used self tapeing screws , just ran them in.does your hard top have theses holes already like mine did?

Comment

^ That's probably the best answer if welding isn't an option. Just drill new holes and start over with sheet metal screws.

Comment

I think they were riveted from the factory. Rivets and rivet guns are cheap.

Comment

Working...
            X