X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• undercoating removal

Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the factory undercoating? Easy as in not wearing out my grinder or killing my air compressors with the sander and or sandblaster. i have scraped some off rather easily with a scraper but it seems to just gum up the sanding disks. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated. Please do not recommend a new tub and front clip. ( my mom has left notes toward that solution) i want to keep the original on this one.

new tub, front clip....lol

good paint scraper should work

-Nick

Comment

gas cleans that stuff off very quick, you just want to make sure you do it outside with a slight breeze. my suggestion would be to scrape off the heavy stuff and then use a bunch of rags with gas on them.

Comment

I just did mine and used a pressure washer i was surprised at how good it worked. I did have the tub and engine off.

Comment

I have found that gas works great, it evaporates fast. Diesel/fuel oil, will also work really well, you just have to let it soak in really well, then it scrapes right off.

Comment

I know gasoline works but its kind of dangerous to use as a solvent. Kersosene or diesel is a lot safer

Comment

i haven't done this personally, but i've heard that the solvent to take off vinyl flooring works well.

Comment

i tried using gas, acetone , degreasing solvent & today i took the tub to the local carwash (lots of unhappy Cadilac owners) the stuff is still there... some came off fairly easily. Putty knife is just really slow. I am gonna try my sandblaster on some of the thicker areas. i will try diesel first. thanks for the responses. i will post the pics in photobuckets this week.

Comment

I think Bruised(chad) Used aircraft paint remover for his Herc..

Comment

Dang, you beat me to it. Yeah, what piginajeep said. I've seen this stuff in action first hand at Bruised's house. He was stripping herculiner off his tub like it was peanut butter. PM him and find out exactly what he's using.

Comment

Sand blasting will work but it will take way more sand than you want to use.
                      Do the chemical route. I have had no problem with gas, however if your undercoating is dry you need it goopey. So get it soaking. If diesel works then I would use that, as it will not evaporate as fast as gas.
                      I don't know it the stuff for herculiner will work as I do not know if it is the same base as undercoating. But you can always try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Piginajeep
                        I think Bruised(chad) Used aircraft paint remover for his Herc..
                        Thats stuff is nasty!!!

I used about 4 cans of that stuff to totally strip all the paint off my 86 monte carlo before the new paint was put on. It had 2-3 layers of paint and i was told it had to be taken down to bare metal before new paint.

Comment

thanks for the info. i have access to the aircraft stripping agents( live near a base) iwill posts all of the pics b 4 & after. if some one would be nice enough to give me info on how to paste in my photobucket address i will post the entire rebuild.

Comment

A little late, though brake cleaner combined with effortless chiseling would have worked better than petro. It dissolves nearly everything.
                            Last edited by Sylvatus; 09-25-2005, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I have done this with aircraft remover. very harsh fumes make sure your in a very well ventilated area and nobody is around that is not working on the project be around. it seemed to work better when the jeep was in the direct sunlight and it was about 80 degrees outside, and also it left a huge mess of snot looking paint all over my garage but hey it worked.

Comment

Working...
                              X